You need to be confident in your decision and positive that you’ve made the right choice for you. Will the university you are considering live up to expectations as well as deliver the knowledge and support you need to succeed?
We’ve developed a 'How to choose a University' checklist to help you get clarity on what you actually want from a university before you ask anybody what they can offer.
Work your way through the features opposite and rate them as 1, 2 or 3.
- Really important to you
- Nice to have but not a deal-breaker
- Not important to you
Once you have gone through and numbered each statement, you will have a really clear idea of what’s most important to you.
Those marked with a number 1 are the top priorities for you when looking for a university and these are the things you need to ask about along the way.
- The university offers the course or subject area I want to study.
- The job rate is high following graduation, meaning that I am more likely to go into the career I want.
- The university is close to home.
- The university is in a new location, away from my home town.
- The local area is affordable to live in.
- The location has good transport links so it’s easy for guests to visit me.
- There are social and support groups which match my interests and needs.
- The campus is safe.
- The university is split location with each campus tailored to and designed for specialist subject areas.
- The Students’ Union or the university itself offers activities and societies I’d like to take part in.
- The surrounding area is packed with weekend activities and opportunities to explore.
- The university and course have good partnerships and opportunities to network.
- There are plenty of placement possibilities.
- There are plenty of part time jobs available in the area.
- The university is flexible and supportive to accommodate my needs, such as childcare and/or other caring duties.
- The university values its students’ mental health and offers initiatives around health and well being.
"I chose the University of Cumbria because I’m passionate about supporting local institutions, the teaching staff were committed and passionate and you get a lot of one to one attention."
- Chloe Booth, LLB (Hons) Law
Want to find out more?
You are ready to take that next step. Ready to make that life-changing decision and work towards your career goals. By downloading our prospectus you will have the world at your fingertips.
You can browse our 100+ unique course options and have access to finance and support information to get you started. Discover all of the courses available to you from Arts to Zoology – we’re excited to see what you choose.