Course: PGCE Primary Education (5-11) with QTS
Location: Bolton, Merseyside and East Manchester
Start date: September 2021
Lead school: St Simon and Jude Church of England Primary School
About Teach North West
Teach North West School Direct is an initial teacher training model for local people, offering a flexible alternative to a further year’s study away from home in Bolton, Merseyside and East Manchester.
Our nurturing and ambitious programme, run as the Teach North West alliance with the University of Cumbria, offers the same content and qualification as the traditional PGCE course, but with an added focus on gaining classroom experience from the start.
We have been involved in School Direct teacher training with the University of Cumbria from its very first year and we are proud to celebrate an exceptional employment record, at 98%, for students completing our programme. For us, this is what School Direct is all about. Our personalised programme supports you to:
- Feel confident and NQT ready
- Become an inspirational class teacher, with experience in both KS1 and KS2
- Identify future leadership and career goals
- Build your professional network across a range of local schools
Who are we looking for?
We have the highest standards for our initial teacher training courses and expect our trainees to demonstrate their commitment to the course from their interview, through to graduation. We seek applications from candidates who:
- Are passionate about educating children to increase their life chances and opportunities
- Are good listeners who enjoy working collaboratively
- Understand how to learn from their mistakes
- Are ambitious and resilient in their drive to succeed
- Take pride in their unique vocation
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic and professionalism
Why study with Teach North West?
We look beyond course completion. Join us for your teaching journey and make a difference, from day one. Train to teach in your local school. Meet new friends, start to build your professional network and make a difference to local children.
The Outstanding SS Simon & Jude CE Primary School, in Bolton, is the lead school in the successful Teach North West Primary Partnership. We pride ourselves on offering our trainees nurture and support right from their interview, and each year provide additional experiences, which focus on developing skills that will further build your confidence in the classroom.
The key features of the Teach North West programme are:
- Our activity induction day to meet your new cohort.
- Developing peer-working skills with a small group of no more than 15 School Direct colleagues.
- A mentor who cares about your personal learning journey and well-being. We provide wellbeing workshops from expert practitioners each term.
- One block of assessed placements each term, where you will be in school full-time.
- Experience across Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
- Training, mentoring and coaching from highly experienced classroom practitioners.
- Guidance and support both informally and through tutorials from dedicated programme leads.
- PGCE modules delivered by University of Cumbria tutors.
- A strong focus on broadening your pedagogical understanding, as well as practical skills.
- Successful completion leads to the award of PGCE and QTS, by University of Cumbria, with 60 credits towards your Masters Degree.
- The chance to meet our graduating cohort to ask questions and listen to their experiences at our graduation celebration.