Love literature, reading, writing and culture? You have come to the right place.
Study undergraduate English Literature as well as postgraduate Creative Writing and Literature, Romanticism and the English Lake District from our Ambleside Campus in the Lake District, surrounded by the landscapes that inspired some of Britain's literary greats and within Cumbria’s thriving literary scene.
As a Literature student, you’ll take field trips and have the opportunity to work with organisations such as the Wordsworth Trust. We also take a modern approach to our courses, equipping our students with skills such as writing copy for websites and web design.
Our academic staff all research and publish within their field of expertise, often with links in the industry. We also invite visiting professors onto campus, to give you industry-leading knowledge and networking opportunities.
97% of our graduates are in work or further study within six months of graduating (DLHE 2018).
Your Career with a Writing and Literature Degree
A degree in Creative Writing or Literature equips you with many skills valued by employers. Editorial, analytical and interpretative skills, along with creative thinking and oral communication skills, may lead to careers in new media, PR & Communications, copywriting, publishing, and cultural heritage.
Creative Writing students also often develop a career as freelance writers and there is a growing market for this in the digital marketing industry as well as other fields. Literature students often go into teaching, lecturing, the cultural heritage sector, and work with major national organisations and companies.
Working with Industry Professionals
Our experienced lecturers are experts in their relevant fields of study and maintain their own practice, often with links to the industry including having their writing or research published. We also invite visiting professors onto campus, to give you industry-leading knowledge and networking opportunities.
Why Choose the University of Cumbria
- Unique opportunity to study a rich body of literary texts within the landscape which inspired them including big names such as Wordsworth, Ransome, Ruskin, & Potter.
- Opportunity to study literature from global and regional contexts in a beautiful and inspiring UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- You will explore contemporary environmental issues through literature (BA English Literature programme).
- You will develop a range of employability skills which enhance your prospects in the future (BA English Literature programme).
- You will have the opportunity to visit important literary locations including Dove Cottage, Rydal Mount, Armitt and Brantwood.
- Sessions with visiting writers and researches.
- Opportunities to be involved in Carlisle’s thriving literary scene and take part in literary festivals.
- Small class sizes mean we can help you to personally develop and flourish throughout your studies.
- Our lecturers are all accomplished writers and researchers who bring their invaluable first-hand experience to their teaching.
- Opportunities to contribute to external publications and design and implement real-world projects to boost your CV.
Follow on Social Media
Love writing, reading and literature? Why not follow our social channels and join the conversation?