Dr Sheila Ford, PhD
- Senior Lecturer, Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Institute of Health
- Health and Wellbeing
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01524 384538
- Location: Lancaster
I joined the University of Cumbria in 2011 following many years working as a Senior Lecturer in Psychology and subsequently as a Head of the Psychology Department at Staffordshire University. I obtained my PhD from Manchester University which looked at the development of memory and arithmetical skills in young children. I am a qualified Counsellor and work mainly with couples undergoing Couple Counselling. I am also a qualified Counselling supervisor and worked for Relate for over 12 years. I currently have a small private practice. Since joining UoC I have been the Programme Leader for the MA and Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Qualifications and memberships
- PhD (Psychology)
- BSc(Hons) Psychology
- PgDip Counselling
- Diploma Supervision
Academic and research interests
- Adult Attachment
- Couple Counselling
- Emotion Focused Therapy
- Galbraith D., Ford S., Walker G & Ford J.C (2008) Components of Working Memory involved in Writing. L1-Educational Studies in Language & Literature. Issue 1.
- Ford S. & Silber K.P. (1994) Working Memory in Children: A developmental approach to the phonological coding of pictorial material. British Journal of Developmental Psychology 12, 165-175.
- Ford S., Sheffield D., Staples., P & Vanono, L. (2005) Maths Anxiety: Effects on Performance and Serial Recall. Paper presented at B.P.S. Quinquennial Conference, Manchester.
Recent external roles
- External Examiner Counselling Couses U.E.A. 2011-2015
- External Examiner Counselling Courses Staffordshire University 2016-current
- PhD External Examiner University of Derby 2015, 2016.