Want a future predicting, deterring and preventing criminal behaviour with a degree that will set you apart from the crowd?
Our Criminology and Applied Psychology course - accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) –will help you achieve that, but it’ll also give you flexibility to step into a range of careers.
You’ll learn about crime and the criminal justice system gaining the necessary know-how for a career in criminology. But, by coupling it with applied psychology, you’ll learn how to relate psychological understanding to criminological issues, such as; punishment, rehabilitation and violence in society.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You’ll be given a variety of pathways to choose from, enabling you to focus on modules specific to your personal interests and or chosen career path.
Learning on-the-job professional skills and boosting your employability is an important aspect of this course. So, we’ll support and encourage you to put your theoretical skills to the test in voluntary work settings.
- Accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Eligible to join the BPS after you graduate
- Flexibility to shape your degree to suit that of your intended career path
- Taught by tutors who have first-hand experience working in the field
- Small class sizes mean we get to know you as an individual to give you personalised support
- Practical and work-based sessions will prepare you for your future career
- We have a strong working relationship with Police, Solicitors Regulator Authority, the British Psychological Society, Law Society and a number of voluntary and commercial organisations, which will boost your studies and placement prospects
- Tutors carry-out pioneering research, which enhances your learning. Plus, it gives you the chance to take part in current research
- Our course offers a full range of extra-curricular activities e.g. Psychology Film Club, Enrichment Evening and Day time Seminars led by local and National Experts, Research Participation Scheme, Staff-Student Conference
- Access to the real courts for mock trials, presided over by real judges
You’ll study in Carlisle, only 20 minutes from Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other, so you’ll never be stuck for something to do.
Plus, you could study part time to fit in with family or professional commitments, if you needed to.
The great thing about studying this combined course is that it gives you significant degree of flexibility to enable you to pursue a diverse range of employment and further study opportunities.
So, to learn all about power, crime and social change, and the impact of globalisation on understanding crime and deviance, for a career in the wider criminal justice system, our course is for you.