Starting Sept 2021: This course is now also available part-time.
Interested in a career in forestry? Then our FdSc course is the qualification for you.
You’ll receive a thorough introduction into the forestry profession combined with a optional work experience element, so you gain all the academic and practical know-how to work in a truly worthwhile and rewarding sector. Our 150 hours work experience option offers a fantastic chance to gain more hands-on forestry work, putting the knowledge you develop during your studies into a real-world context.
And, from our campus in Ambleside, you’ll have the opportunity to study in woodlands managed for conservation, timber production and social benefits - all within easy access of the campus.
All of our courses are validated and endorsed by the Institute of Chartered Foresters and on completion of the FdSc, you’ll have the opportunity to progress on to the BSc (Hons) Forestry (top-up) programme.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You’ll study professional forestry at our National School of Forestry in the iconic Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Foresters
- We have more than 50 years' experience educating and training professional and award-winning foresters
- Experience hands-on forestry frequently, thanks to our practical-focused approach
- Use the latest forestry technology, such as remote sensing and drones during your studies, to enhance your employability
- Learn from academic tutors who have worked as professional foresters
- Our tutors are involved in conducting ground-breaking, international research, which will inform your learning
- Our excellent links with the Royal Forestry Society, Institute of Chartered Foresters (ICF) and many other forestry organisations which provide the opportunity to develop your professional networks
- Opportunities to win awards from a variety of forestry organisations.
If you want a rewarding career in a sector, which is important for biodiversity, society and the economy, then this professional course at the National School of Forestry will set you on the path to success.
Many of our full-time programmes can be studied over a longer period on a part-time basis. Please contact the course enquiries team for further details.
The knowledge you develop will see you go on to a rewarding career in forestry both in the UK and potentially internationally. You'll have the qualifications necessary to go straight into the profession, or be able to progress to the top-up BSc (Hons) degree to take your skills even further.