On this degree course, you’ll receive a thorough introduction to a range of marine and freshwater environments from upland springs to coastal zones. Once you’ve mastered the fundamental understanding of biodiversity and its conservation we’ll move on to the processes affecting the behaviour and characteristics of aquatic habitats. You’ll also be able to choose from a number of modules to suit your interests so you can tailor your own degree, backed up by laboratory and field-based teaching from research-active tutors to boost your practical and analytical skills. If you choose the ‘with placement’ version of the degree you will also complete a year away from campus, undertaking a UK or international placement; some of our former students have chosen to study in countries including Cambodia, Canada, Mexico and Montenegro. We also offer our students and abundance of conservation volunteering opportunities as well as field trips across the UK and overseas.
On this course you will...
- Have the opportunity to conduct a 7-month placement with a conservation organisation or research group in the UK or abroad.
- Benefit from the only UK conservation degrees taught inside a national park. This provides you with easy access to charismatic wildlife and diverse and distinctive habitats and ecosystems.
- Be taught by experts in aquatic conservation, each with a wealth of experience in the conservation of marine and freshwater species and their habitats.
- Enjoy small class sizes which allows us to provide a personal approach to teaching and student support.
- Be actively involved in the reintroduction of endangered wildlife species in Cumbria. So you can gain hands-on experience in species reintroduction as part of your degree.
- Study in a vibrant community within the landscape of the English Lake District. This provides amazing recreational opportunities and you will live and breathe conservation.
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.