With a shortage of marine and freshwater scientists in the UK, there’s never been a better time to study to become a future expert in the world of aquatic conservation.
So, we’ve designed you a unique course - with the guidance of professional environmental consultants and aquatic scientists - now you can study freshwater and marine conservation together in one degree in one of the most beautiful locations in the UK
Our course offers a four-year 'sandwich-route' mode of study, giving you the opportunity to undertake a one-year placement between your second and third year. So, you’ll get the real world experience you need to put your studies into focus, as well as understand how your degree can help you in gaining a career.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Your studies at our Ambleside campus, in the English Lake District, will be unrivalled - we're the only UK university with a campus within a national park and in an UNESCO World Heritage Site, and there are few places better suited to studying conservation science.
So, forget sporadic, end of term field trips and research, you’ll have an abundance of rivers, lakes and coastline on your doorstep to gain plenty of hands-on, practical science throughout every term.
- Prepared for employment in conservation, environmental and research fields
- Easy access to the waters of the Lake District and coastal ecosystems
- Use of up-to-date facilities in our dedicated laboratories
- Flexibility to customise your learning and carve your future career by selecting modules
- Practical, taxonomic and analytical capabilities ready for a future in science
- Exciting, international field trips and placements for hands-on experience
- Enhance your job prospects thanks to our great contacts with wildlife, water and conservation organisations, such as the Freshwater Biological Association
- Great contacts with wildlife, water and conservation organisations to enhance your job prospects
- Taught by tutors involved in international research, which will enhance your learning and keep you up to date
- Small class sizes mean we get to know you well and offer individual support during your studies
- Use of modern learning spaces, lecture theatres and a well-stocked library with many marine and freshwater resources and journals
- Access to excellent on-campus facilities, including the climbing wall and gym at the Ambleside Campus
You will live and learn close to the shores of Windermere, on our friendly Ambleside campus in the stunning Lake District, where you will be surrounded by a picturesque patchwork of more than 150 lofty peaks, 16 lakes, an abundance of rivers - all home to unique habitats and wildlife. Not only that, the Cumbrian coast is not far away so with a little effort, you can access marine environments too.
If you have the passion for helping our planet's future, then we’ll help you gain the aquatic environmental knowledge, skills and practical experience you need to graduate as a professional aquatic scientist who can make a real difference.
So, to become an expert in the conservation world, get started with our unique course.