On this illustration degree course, we will help you develop strong drawing, composition, and colour skills that will underpin your personal visual language, allowing you to develop a unique voice as an artist. You’ll gain the experience, confidence and advanced technical skills you need to succeed. And once you find your voice as an artist, your personality, passion and the quality of the work in your portfolio will get you noticed, enabling you to become an illustrator by profession. You’ll receive extensive feedback, support, and advice throughout your studies and have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, as well as the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, including a high-quality placement and ‘live briefs’, to develop and hone your skills.
We are unique amongst university illustration courses in giving you a thorough grounding in graphic design. You’ll have the necessary skills and experience to stand out from the crowd.
On this course you will...
- Study illustration within an institute recognised by the industry as a course provider that engenders strong drawing skills. Through doing so, we provide our graduates with the backbone of a long career in illustration.
- Be encouraged to develop an individual approach to illustration - allowing you to develop a personal style that stands out from the crowd.
- Have regular and meaningful contact with tutorials, workshops, and discussions - reinforcing your practice with the support of tutors and peers who know you and your work inside and out.
- Be included in deciding what direction the course/module/brief should take. Small group sizes mean a supportive and open community of practice.
- Have access to a large professional studio space that is open plan and shared across all-year groups. Stock up on supplies with our in-house shop and experiment in our reprographic department.
- Undertake a real-world creative placement where you have the opportunity to gain high-quality work experience during the second year of your studies.
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.