BA (Hons) - Illustration
Want to become a great illustrator? One who takes a line and conjures worlds that compel and transfix? Technique is important. Courage is needed. But individuality is demanded. That’s why we’ll give you the space, resources and inspiration to find your voice. That’s why, with our help, you’ll make art that makes a difference.
We are unique amongst university illustration courses in giving you a thorough grounding in graphic design, allowing you to also potentially work for a design studio as a designer.
On our illustration degree, we will help you develop strong drawing, composition, and colour skills that will underpin your personal visual language, allowing you to develop a unique voice as an artist. You’ll gain the experience, confidence, and advanced technical skills you need to succeed. And once you find your voice as an artist, your personality, passion and the quality of the work in your portfolio will get you noticed. You’ll receive extensive feedback, support, and advice throughout your studies and have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, as well as the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, including ‘live briefs’ to develop and hone your skills.
We are unique amongst illustration courses in giving you a thorough grounding in graphic design. You’ll have the necessary skills and experience to stand out from the crowd.
On this course you will...
- Study illustration within a university institute recognised by the industry as a course provider that engenders strong drawing skills. Through doing so, we provide our graduates with the backbone of a long career in illustration.
- Be encouraged to develop an individual approach to illustration - allowing you to develop a personal style that stands out from the crowd.
- Have regular and meaningful contact with tutorials, workshops, and discussions - reinforcing your practice with the support of tutors and peers who know you and your work inside and out.
- Be included in deciding what direction the course/module/brief should take. Small group sizes mean a supportive and open community of practice.
- Have access to a large professional studio space that is open plan and shared across all-year groups. Stock up on supplies with our in-house shop and experiment in our reprographic department.
Student and alumni work
Carlisle - Brampton Road Campus
Located just outside the city, right on top of Hadrian's Wall, the Brampton Road campus is full of history, buzzing with excitement, creativity, and a sense of endless possibility. The home of creators, entertainers, rule breakers, and change-markers.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.