Our aim is to inspire you to become an innovative and individual illustrator, graduating with an impressive professional portfolio of work that will lead to commissions or employment.
We’ll help you develop strong drawing skills – a firm foundation for your life as an illustrator. But, our uniquely-designed course will also expand your graphic design skills to give you career flexibility.
To see much more of what we do please visit our course blog.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You'll be prepared for the commercial world because we’ll focus on developing your image making skills through exciting, fast-paced, industry-focused projects. So, you'll experience a wide range of media and ultimately create a highly personal portfolio.
And, you’ll do it at our dedicated arts campus in Carlisle, where you’ll be within 20 minutes of Scotland and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site. So, when you’re not being creative you’ll not be stuck for something to do.
- Small classes mean we get to know you well and provide detailed, personal feedback throughout your studies
- 80% of your studies will be practical; You’re not just learning, you’re doing
- Get an insight into your future as an illustrator through visits from respected and professional illustrators and designers
- Work in a huge, modern and professionally-equipped studio space
- Encouragement to develop your own unique voice and style as an illustrator
- Updated libraries and magazines, so you can keep up-to-date with contemporary illustration practices
- Access to workshops and facilities; including life-drawing, print-making, animation suites, laser cutting and 3D printing
- Use the latest technology and software that you’ll use as a real-world professional
- All tutors are experts in illustration, graphic design and typography
- Our excellent industry links give you good networking opportunities, boosting your career prospects
You’ll work across a range of traditional and digital media, including drawing, painting, 3D and moving image - and you'll be encouraged to do it at a level hitting industry expectations.
What we don't want is for you to be a clone of another artist. We give you the artistic freedom and training to discover and develop your own unique style, creating work that will help your portfolio stand out from the crowd.