Our studio-based Fine Art course will enable you to develop your ideas into an exciting and fulfilling creative practice, while you become an ambitious and confident maker.
You’ll acquire and hone your skills across all the fine art disciplines of painting, sculpture, printmaking, photography (both wet and dry) and digital media.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You’ll deepen your historical, theoretical and critical understanding of fine art, while developing practice, based on themes that you’re passionate about.
And forget having to book space – we provide you with impressive, bespoke studios so you can create your very own adaptable and readily available space for your ambitious work.
You’ll be within 20 minutes of Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other. Add to that close to the spectacular North West coastline and you’ll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
- 75% of your studies will be in practical, hands-on sessions
- Easy access to fabrication facilities in metal, wood, ceramic, as well as print studios, dark rooms and audio/visual labs
- All tutors are practicing artists – many are world-renowned
- Opportunity to create an ambitious portfolio of work to impress a wide range of future employers
- Develop entrepreneurial skills – including self-employment and marketing - essential for real-world success
- Small class sizes, so we get to know you as an individual and help you to flourish
- Encouraged to exhibit locally and nationally thanks to our industry links
- Run your own space in Carlisle, visit galleries of note nationally and internationally
- You get every chance to master a full range of art disciplines to develop your own unique style