National Student Survey 2019 100% Student Satisfaction. Our Fine Art course is top in the UK – out of 79 providers
Study a range of art disciplines and get ready for a real-world role in the arts. Our interdisciplinary, studio-based Fine Art course will enable you to develop your ideas into an exciting and fulfilling creative practice, while you become an ambitious and confident maker.
You’ll acquire and hone your skills across all the Fine Art disciplines of painting, sculpture, printmaking, photography (both wet and dry) and digital media.
And forget having to book space – we provide you with impressive, bespoke studios so you can create your very own adaptable and readily available space for your ambitious work.
Curious about what happens during the course? Visit our 2020 Vision Student Showcase and follow our social media channels to see it firsthand.
Partners & Memberships
Your Career with a Fine Art Degree
Former students have stepped into senior roles in national and international museums and galleries, in the private sector and creative industries or are self-employed artists after graduating with us. Many of our graduates move into postgraduate education.
So, start your success story with our Fine Art degree that’ll help you make a significant contribution to the artistic and cultural landscape.
Degree Show Artwork by Margrét Loftsdóttir
Why Choose University of Cumbria
- 100% overall student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2019)
- Easy access to fabrication facilities in metal, wood, ceramic, as well as print studios, dark rooms and audio/visual labs.
- Deepen your historical, theoretical and critical understanding of Fine Art
- Develop your own practice based on themes that you’re passionate about
- All lecturers are practising artists – many are world-renowned
- Every chance to master a full range of art disciplines to develop your own unique style
- Develop an ambitious portfolio of work to impress a wide range of future employers
- Develop entrepreneurial skills – including self-employment and marketing - essential for real-world success
- Small class sizes, so we get to know you as an individual and help you to flourish.
- Encouraged to exhibit locally and nationally throughout your undergraduate career, create and run your own space in Carlisle, visit galleries of note nationally and internationally.
Our graduates have gone on to work in national and international museums and galleries, in the private sector and creative industries. Some have become self-employed artists, others are part of artist networks that perform across Europe. Many of our graduates have also gone into postgraduate education.
But don't take our word for it. Meet Poppy Cookson, BA (Hons) Fine Art Graduate and winner of Young Cumbrian Artist of the Year 2019.
Course Study Options
We also offer this course with an integrated foundation year. Click the button for more information.