If you’re looking for a fine art foundation course that’ll enable you to unearth your artistic voice and unleash your creative flair in your own dedicated studio space, then this is the one for you.
Your introductory year will give you the skills and knowledge needed to appreciate the full Fine Arts programme to go on to complete your degree and secure a future in the fine arts industry.
Curious about what happens during the course? Follow our social media channels and see it firsthand.
Partners & Memberships
Your Career with a Fine Art Degree
Our graduates have stepped into senior roles in national and international art agencies, galleries and museums. Some have become self-employed artists or have joined artist networks who perform all over Europe. And others have progressed on to postgraduate study or teaching.
So, start your success story with our Fine Art degree to learn all you need to make it as an artist in today’s world.
Degree Show Artwork by Margrét Loftsdóttir
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You’ll acquire and hone your skills across all the Fine Art disciplines of painting, sculpture, printmaking, photography (both wet and dry) and digital media.
And, forget having to book our own art space – we have a larger than average studio, so you can create your very own adaptable and readily available space for your ambitious work, accessible to you throughout your degree.
You’ll be within 20 minutes of Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other. Add to that close to the spectacular North West coastline and you’ll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
- Automatically progress to BA (Hons) Fine Art course
- 75% of your studies will be in practical, hands-on sessions
- Easy access to fabrication facilities in metal, wood, ceramic, as well as print studios, dark rooms and audio/visual labs.
- All tutors are practising artists – many are world-renowned
- Opportunity to create an ambitious portfolio of work to impress future employers
- Develop entrepreneurial skills – including self-employment and marketing
- Small class sizes, so we get to know you as an individual and help you to flourish
- Encouraged to exhibit locally and nationally thanks to our industry links
- Run your own space in Carlisle, visit galleries of note nationally and internationally
- You get every chance to master a full range of art disciplines to develop your own unique style
But don't take our word for it. Meet Poppy Cookson, BA (Hons) Fine Art Graduate and winner of Young Cumbrian Artist of the Year 2019.
Course Study Options
We also offer this course without an integrated foundation year.