The library is one of the most important parts of a university. We ensure that our libraries offer excellent services to our students so that your studies can be enhanced further.
The libraries at our main campuses in Carlisle, Lancaster, London and Ambleside offer an outstanding variety of features and facilities including:
- Print and electronic books and journals. You can view the available resources through OneSearch, your route to library discovery.
- Insight is the institutional research repository for the University of Cumbria, providing immediate and free worldwide access to the scholarly outputs of our staff and researchers.
- A range of study areas for group work, quiet work and silent study. There are bookable study rooms at Ambleside, Carlisle and Lancaster.
- Internet connected PCs and wireless access.
- Laptops and a range of media equipment to borrow.
- Printing, scanning and photocopying facilities.
- Stationery for sale.
- A collection of items for students on teaching courses to use in their placements (Lancaster and Carlisle only).
- Access to help and support, including academic and study skills.
- Access to a ‘virtual librarian’ through webchat to help you with referencing and a range of academic and study skills.
The University Centre at Furness has teaching and flexible study space as well as a core collection of textbooks, and can be used by university students in the Furness area.
For more information on our libraries, contact the Library team.
We belong to the Sconul Access scheme which enables staff and students to join (and in some cases borrow from) other academic libraries. You can use libraries from the North West Academic Libraries (NoWAL) consortium for reference.
London Reader Pass
If you are studying at our London campus (or living/working in London), you can register for a Reader Pass to use the Reading Rooms in the British Library at St. Pancras. You can obtain a book or journal that we do not stock from the British Library or another library. A small charge will apply.
We are extremely proud of our library services, and don't believe they should only be restricted to student use. Visitors can use the libraries at all our main campuses for reference and personal study. We provide access to dedicated computer terminals at Ambleside, Carlisle and Lancaster, which will enable you to read some electronic publications. To get directions to our campuses, please visit our Campus Locations page.
Visiting University Students and Staff
All of our libraries provide access to the Eduroam wireless network which allows students, researchers and staff from participating institutions to obtain internet connectivity when visiting other participating institutions, as long as you have completed the Eduroam sign-up process at your home institution.
If you are a student or member of staff at a Sconul Access member university, you may be able to join our library free of charge. Please check the Sconul website for details of the scheme.
If you have been a University of Cumbria student, the annual cost of library membership is £35. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Even if you haven’t been a Cumbria student, you can join the library as a fee-paying borrower. Annual membership is £50.