If you are a diagnostic radiographer wanting to enhance your professional career, then our course - accredited by the College of Radiographers - will enable you to enhance your interest and career in MRI.
Our PgD will build on your experience in magnetic resonance imaging. It will teach you the academic knowledge and safe clinical practice to enhance your abilities to work as a reflective practitioner and advance your career.
And, it has a long-standing high reputation in the MRI community – it has been running since 1996 in Lancaster. Many MRI radiographers in senior positions in departments have either been students themselves or a mentor for students on the course. This shows the long standing relationship we have had with many departments and their staff: you would be entering a course that is very well regarded in the MRI community.
Your learning will be enhanced with plenty of discussion with expert practitioners in MRI physics and clinical MRI.
Excellent networking opportunities will be available as, historically, we have taught students from all over the UK – from Aberdeen (North Scotland) to Plymouth (South England) and Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. They have joined us from the NHS, university research departments and private providers.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
We have designed our course to meet the requirements of staff in busy MRI departments – with the support and input of local MRI managers.
- Work-based clinical practice will enhance your academic knowledge and provide essential experience. This is closely monitored by academic staff and your work based mentor
- The course runs in Lancaster in 3x one week ‘blocks’ spread through the academic year (normally October, February and May). Our approach is welcomed by students who value the intensive teaching blocks allowing a focus on the subject
- Your mentor, a member of staff in your department, will be trained by the University of Cumbria in their role at a mentor study day
- Taught by a team of experienced MRI practitioners both in the university and in your clinical setting.
- Teaching is also supported by specialist external guest speakers who provide current, relevant course material directly related to clinical practice
- Students value collaborative learning and there a number of group activities that enhance learning in the teaching weeks
- Study in a friendly, professional environment
After successfully completing the postgraduate diploma, you will be eligible to move onto the MSc degree in MRI.
So, if you have experience in MRI and have the support from your department to allow monitored clinical practice, then our PgD Medical Imaging (MRI) ensures you have the clinical competencies and safe practice to further your career and provide excellent understanding of the MRI environment.
This qualification can lead to employment as a diagnostic radiographer. A Masters level degree is becoming a requirement in many departments, so you will have a head start in finding work with the NHS or in the private sector.