The Health and Safety Service is responsible for monitoring and advising on Health & Safety across the University. We coordinate safety matters, inspect and advise on aspects of H&S and provide training.
What we do
The Health and Safety Service is dedicated to help protect the health, safety and wellbeing of everyone who visits our campuses - staff, students and others such as the public and our contractors. We achieve this by:
- Developing safety management systems at the University.
- Advise on risk assessments.
- Deliver training courses.
- Incident/accident investigation.
- Liaison with external, professional bodies such as the Local Authorities, Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and regularly reports on matters regarding legal compliance and corporate responsibility.
- Providing technical support, guidance and assistance on all aspects of health and safety legislation to staff and students.
The service is involved in the following areas:
- Help promote a positive and pragmatic health and safety culture.
- Give advice on effective risk management and assessment.
- Provide additional, 'hands on' assistance for those business operations which are higher risk.
- Run a wide range of training courses for staff and students.
- Conduct accident investigations and liaise with insurance representatives following claims.
- Carry out audits of compliance and risk.