External examiners play a vital role in assuring the quality and standards of our awards. Whether you are an existing external or a member of staff wishing to appoint an examiner, this page should provide all the information you require. The University’s Procedures and Processes align to the QAA UK Quality Code for Higher Education.
Information for External Examiners
- Privacy Notice
- External Examiner Handbook
- Key roles and responsibilities
- Useful Terms and Acronyms
- Summary Guide for Award Externals on University Assessment Boards
- Module Assessment Boards - Summary Guide for Subject External Examiners
- Advance HE Guide - Fundamentals of External Examining (March 2019)
- Guidance for External Examiners involved in Collaborative Provision
- Online submission - a guide for External Examiners
- Blackboard VLE Login
The following are available as part of the Academic Procedures and Processes:
- Information for External Examiners (Section 4F)
- Roles and Responsibilities in External Examining (Section 4A)
- Reporting Procedures for External Examiners (Section 4E)
IT Difficulties - If you experience difficulties in accessing the University's IT systems, it may be because you need to reset your password. If this does not resolve the problem, please contact our IT Service Desk on Tel: 01228 618888 or via email email@example.com. Should you experience difficulties in accessing the programme Blackboard site, please contact your Programme Leader in the first instance so that they can ensure that you are enrolled on the Blackboard site. Either of these otpions should help to resolve your access rights, however, if you are still having diffculty please contact AQD via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For information and dates about assessment boards, please refer to the assessment web page.
Templates for External Examiners
- Subject external examiner report template (for externals appointed to programmes, modules, etc)
- Award external examiner report template (for externals appointed to comment on university processes)
- Mentor report form
Fees and Expenses
External Examiner Induction
A series of induction presentations are available to you in online format. You are encouraged to engage with these presentations as soon as possible following your appointment. The presentations will provide you with an insight into the role and responsibilities of the External Examiner and will also provide some context around our assessment processes.
The presentations will last less than one hour in total and they will also provide you with links to further useful resources.