Click here to edit using the old editor Click here to edit page settings

Travel and Subsistence


Students may be eligible to claim some assistance with the costs of travel and subsistence as described below. This excludes students in receipt of a DfE bursary, following School Direct or SCITT programmes or undertaking re-sit or Northern Ireland placements.

When a student in receipt of a bursary gives a lift to a student who is not in receipt of a bursary, the driver is eligible to claim the mileage indicated below (under use of cars, including hire cars where the driver is in receipt of a bursary)

Students are responsible for arranging their own travel to and from placements. However on some occasions it may be financially viable for the University of Cumbria to provide transport for trainees.

The University will not reimburse the cost of taxi fares. Students will be expected to use the most cost effective type of ticket. For example discounts are available for weekly or monthly travel by bus or train.

Transport Provided by the University

When transport is provided by the University the following conditions apply:

  • The transport will always originate from and return to the campus at which students are studying.
  • A minimum of 5 working days’ notice (Saturday and Sunday are not classed as working days) must be given by students for any requests to change or cancel transport arrangements.
  • Students will waive their right to claim a contribution to travel costs when they decline to use transport provided by the University.
  • Students who do not notify the University that they are making their own arrangements will be required to meet any costs incurred by the University relating to their travel.

Completing Travel Claim Forms

In order to claim a contribution towards the costs of travel, Education students will need to submit a Travel Claim Form, Health Students can submit their forms by clicking here. Students claiming expenses for the first time, or if account details have changed since last making a claim for reimbursement must complete a student bank details form. Details of how to do this, along with the bank details form, can be obtained from our student finance page - Student Finance

Please note that, when public transport is used, all tickets must be scanned and sent to

All travel expense claims for the academic year 2022/23 must be submitted within one month of completion of a placement and no later than Friday 7th July, 2023.

Students should use the following e-mails to submit their expenses:

All Students:

The University will base a student’s placement on either the student’s home address or the campus at which they are based. This is subject to the availability of a suitable placement.

When a student is allocated a placement based on their home address, but choose to travel from their campus address, they will not be eligible for the full cost of their travel. In this instance travel costs will only be reimbursed from their home address to their placement, providing this does not increase the costs of travel.

There will be some instances where it is not feasible for a student to get to a placement due to the lack of suitable public transport or any alternative. In this instance students should contact the University at least one week prior to the start of their placement, detailing the research they have conducted into travel solutions and asking for appropriate assistance. Assistance with transport arrangements will only be provided where the University confirms that there are no feasible alternatives.

Travel Claims FAQs

Am I Eligible to Claim?

How / When Are Claims Paid?

How and When Can I Claim?

Where Do I Submit My Travel Claim Form?

I'm Having Problems Completing My Claim Form, Who Do I Contact?

I've Lost One of My Tickets for Public Transport, Can I Still Claim?

Travel Claims For Students Based in London

Students based at the London campus must purchase an 18+ Oyster Photocard when undertaking journeys via public transport that they intend to claim back from the University.

When submitting travel claims paid for by an oyster card, the student must attach an electronic copy of a printout detailing the journeys they have made to and from placement. Claims will be reduced by 30% if an 18+ Oyster Photocard has not been used. Students must attach a scanned copy of their Oyster Photocard with the first student expenses claim they submit each academic year.

Travel Claim Guide


Student Residence



Placement Based on This Address



 Expenses That Can Be Claimed


On campus/ address local to campus

Campus / address local to campus


  • Mileage from campus to school, or
  • cost of public transport from campus to school.

On campus


Home address

  • Mileage from home address to school, or
  • cost of public transport from home address to school.

At home



  • Mileage from home to school less mileage from home to campus, or
  • cost of public transport from campus to school.

At home


At home

  • Mileage to school less mileage from home to campus, or
  • cost of public transport from home to school.


Any student giving a lift to another student can claim mileage from the passengers pick up point to school at the hire car plus passenger rate of 20p for any journeys ineligible under the travel claim guide. Students must have the prior approval of the placement unit to claim this funding.


Where Can I Find Information About My School and How To Get There?

Find a School in England - Locate your school and its details; all you need is its postcode or name.

Traveline - public transport journey planner (Tel: 0871 200 22 33)

MARIO - Bus routes from Lancaster.

Stagecoach Bus Timetable

Google Maps - Car route planner.

National Rail (Tel: 08457 48 49 50)

You Might Also Like...

Explore the topic