MSc - Midwifery: Practice Development
The MSc Midwifery: Practice Development programme was developed, informed and has evolved on the basis of collaboration with employers, stakeholders and students to meet the educational needs of registered midwives. It will see you gain the qualities and knowledge needed to become a high-calibre midwifery professional, able to confidently deal with the changing dynamics of the healthcare economy.
Our aim is to help you enhance your professional prospects and enable you to play an active role in developing your own midwifery practice. The facility to study modules online from your own home, at a time that will fit around your shift pattern and day-to-day commitments, further supports access to this advanced learning. We have extensive experience as CPD distance learning providers. All tutors are experienced in both clinical and academic practice.
As well as the core modules, you'll be able to take your pick from our list of optional midwifery-specific modules, or from the standalone modules belonging to the department. The core modules make up 100 credits of the course, and include a 20-credit research methods module, a 60-credit dissertation module, and a 20-credit module in either leadership or evidence-based practice. This leaves you with 80 credits to study optional modules.
You will need to complete an induction prior to starting your first module. We have a comprehensive online induction package to welcome you to both the university and your programme of study. Alternatively, classroom-based induction days take place at our Lancaster and Carlisle campuses and are usually scheduled for the first week of each semester.
On this course you will...
- Tailor your learning experience by choosing from a range of modules to suit your interests and career aspirations.
- Enjoy the flexibility of modular learning, allowing you to study at your own comfortable pace, without committing to the full course.
- Benefit from the expertise of experienced practitioners and academics with strong experience of working in the NHS.
- Receive dedicated support and guidance from a personal tutor throughout your studies.
- Take advantage of our extensive experience as CPD distance learning providers, with a comprehensive and well-established online study skills package available for you to use.
Carlisle - Fusehill Street Campus
The Fusehill Street campus has been the setting of life-saving treatments since World War I. Now, it's home to world changers, life-savers, crime fighters, and entrepreneurs with access to high-quality facilities and innovative thinking.Find out more
Online learning at the University of Cumbria is an interactive experience that makes use of a range of technologies and media types to provide a rich learning environment.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.