Click here to edit using the old editor Click here to edit page settings

Withdrawal and intercalation transfers


If you are thinking of cancelling registration, withdrawing from study or pausing your studies then you should speak to one of our Student Money Advisers to discuss the financial implications and help make the right decision for you. You can also get more information here.

Withdrawal & Cancellations

Students have a legal right to cancel a contract under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013. 

Full information on the tuition fee liability if you withdraw can be found in the Student Financial Regulations for the year you started your programme. However, for UK students this is usually:

Relevant DateElement of Fee Liability
Within 14 days of course start date in Year 1 of a programme nil
First day of Term 1 (or 14 days after the course start date in Year 1 of a programme) 25%
First day of Term 2 50%
First day of Term 3 100%


International students are not eligible for any refunds if they withdraw.

If you are in receipt of a scholarship or bursary then this will be stopped on withdrawal and no further payments made. Any amounts paid after a student's last date of attendance will be repayable immediately. Any payments that have been that relate to the period after a student's last date of attendance are also repayable

If you have been forced to withdraw from your course due to an unexpected change in circumstances since the time you registered, you may request a review of the tuition fee charged. This review will be conducted in line with the process agreed by the Tuition Fee Management Group. Any deviation from the policy outlined above will be subject to a review of documentary evidence, or any other evidence, which the university shall require in order to be satisfied of the entitlement.


Intercalation - Pausing your studies

If you pause your studies you can ask for your fees to be put on hold until you return. However if you then withdraw from the programme you will be liable for the fee up to the point that you left the programme.

Further information on the amount of fee you will be liable to is included in our Student Financial Regulations. 

If you are in receipt of undergraduate student loan funding then you normally pause your studies for a period of year, not shorter. 

If you are in receipt of Postgraduate Student Loan funding and wish to decrease the intensity of your study so that you will finish later than expected then please contact a Student Money Adviser for information and support on the financial implications.

If you are in receipt of funding from any funding body then please make sure that you let them know that you have paused your studies. Failure to do this may result in an overpayment or you having to repay your loan earlier than expected.

For all intercalations (pause of study) please contact a Student Money Adviser for information on your financial liabilities. If you wish to put your fee payment on hold then please contact Please make sure that you complete the intercalation processes fully.

If, following intercalation, you withdraw from the course then the withdrawal procedures and policies will apply from the last date of attendance.

Contact us

If you have any questions about funding and student finance, please contact our Student Money Advisers using the Student Enquiry Point. We're happy to help you.


Explore the topic