Why not bring your love of English to the classroom and inspire secondary school pupils to enjoy literature and achieve the best levels of literacy they can?
English is essential to a young person’s future success and our PGCE Secondary Education in English will enable you to learn all about the National Curriculum framework in English – from language, literature, drama and media - through to individual lesson plans.
You will be supported by our expert tutors to plan, resource and deliver lessons to pupils of all secondary ages and abilities. We do this so that you graduate knowing how to teach effectively, while keeping the interest and enthusiasm of your pupils.
And, because our course has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built in, you can apply for a position as a secondary school teacher the minute you graduate.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our PGCE Secondary Education in English falls in line with the National College for Teaching and Leadership guidelines and so you can expect to do a minimum of 120 days in schools giving you the essential hands-on experience you need for future employment.
Plus, we ensure that our course gives you plenty of hands-on experience – whether delivering lessons, using technology in the classroom (ICT), assessing work - to prepare you to confidently step into and lead a classroom.
You won’t be dropped in the deep end. You will start by working with individual groups of pupils in school and gradually build up to the teaching of whole classes so you can develop the appropriate levels of learning in pupils required of you in the Teachers' Standard.
- Our excellent partnerships with more than 2,000 schools in Lancashire and Cumbria enhance your placement and job prospects
- A high number of our students get offered jobs from teaching placements
- Experience two contrasting school placements where you can put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into real-world practice, giving you valuable work experience
- Our academic tutors have backgrounds as highly-experienced secondary teachers or within the education sector and knowing what it is like to be a professional teacher, their first-hand experience will support your learning
- Our tutors are active researchers in education, so your learning will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will guide you throughout your studies and your subject mentor will support your professional development at your placement
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment providing easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well stocked with education books and journals you need for research
- Free use of classroom props and learning aids that you can use on placements to enhance your teaching
- Flexibility to study either online or at our friendly and vibrant campus in Lancaster
- Access to new and modern social and study spaces, technology and facilities on campus
Our Lancaster campus is also home to our The Learning, Education and Development (LED) research centre, where our tutors are involved in leading and publishing high-quality educational research to inform educational practice and policy.
During the past 100 years, with our founding institutions St Martin’s College in Lancaster and Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside, we’ve gained a great track record for inspiring and training.
Our course will give you the right start to your future as a successful English teacher and make you a great candidate for any English department.
So, kick-start your career as an English teacher to share your passion with young people, nurture their minds and make a difference in the classroom.