MRes - Master of Research
The MRes degree blends independent research with learning activities delivered by world-class researchers, while allowing students to shape their studies in part around their other priorities, making it an ideal qualification for early career academics and professionals alike.
The programme provides a firm foundation for developing personal and professional skills towards business, public service, third sector, research sector or doctoral study.
The University of Cumbria research master's programme aims to develop participants as researchers capable of designing, leading, and communicating research and development projects. Participants will contribute new knowledge, while also having an impact on practice within your subject area, professional field or workplace context.
You will be working with a core interdisciplinary programme team and drawing upon the established expertise of University of Cumbria's academics and researchers.
For students with further study ambitions, it is possible to gain accreditation from prior learning (APL) from the MRes degree into either a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or a Doctor of Professional Practice (DProf). To progress from the master of research to the PhD or DProf, you will require 60% average overall, Merit or above, on successful completion of the MRes.
On this course you will...
- Contribute new knowledge and understanding of key disciplinary and interdisciplinary theory, and research relevant to your professional field, workplace context and chosen focus.
- Advance your critical knowledge and understanding of research methodologies and skills enabling you to contribute to new knowledge through research.
- Influence research-informed change in practice within your professional field.
- Develop professional researcher attributes and skills in planning, critical and creative thinking, communication, and self-management of your continuing professional development.
- Exercise a high level of professional values and dispositions related to diversity, integrity, leadership and good practice.
Online learning at the University of Cumbria is an interactive experience that makes use of a range of technologies and media types to provide a rich learning environment.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.