With a UK-wide shortage of sonographers in an increasingly pressured health care system, there has never been a better time to study MSc Medical Imaging: Ultrasound.
Our intensive full MSc programme - accredited by the Consortium for the Accreditation of Sonographic Education (CASE) - is the perfect accelerated pathway of study to launch your career as a sonographer, whether you have a science or non-clinical health background.
You will learn all of the academic knowledge required to work in this field and, importantly, have plenty of hands-on training in our skills hub, which is equipped with the latest imaging workstations and houses one of the largest MedaPhor ultrasound simulation labs in the world.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our intensive course is for committed students and gives you exposure to the full-range of sonography in clinical areas, such as; obstetrics, gynaecology, general medical (abdominal and small parts), vascular, breast and musculoskeletal ultrasound training.
- Approximately 75% of your studies will be practical, so you have the work-based skills required to step into a job after graduation
- Our course meets the standards of CASE, regional and national stakeholders - including local ultrasound managers- so you can be assured that your learning meets the needs of future employers
- Eligible to apply for registration with SCoR Public Voluntary Register of Sonographers after graduation
- Use top-of-the-range ultrasound equipment and test phantoms in our skills hub to prepare you for your clinical placement and to meet the standards required by employers
- Taught by a team of experienced ultrasound practitioners both in the university and in your clinical setting
- We have earned a reputation in specialist international research, so your studies will be up-to-date with current best practices
- We arrange your work-based placements with our partner NHS Trusts*
- Opportunity to liaise and learn with professionals across medical imaging both during your studies and while on clinical placement
- Study in a friendly and professional environment
Your studies will take place in Lancaster, a vibrant student city, with great transport links to the major cities of Manchester and Liverpool. Plus, you’ll only be 30 minutes from the Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. So, you will never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
We do not offer selected pathways, but teach you the full range of medical imaging across the sonography spectrum to fully prepare you professionally for busy clinical environments.
We want to see you become an autonomous practitioner, who undertakes advanced ultrasound practice safely and to the high-standards expected by employers, graduating ready to step into a job as a sonographer.
*Our tutors arrange your placement and so you must be willing to work in placements across the ultrasound clinical specialisms. Placement capacity is subject to availability, suitability and viability.
Students are required to be student members of the Society & College of Radiographers (SCoR) whilst in training and, on completion, registration with the SCoR's voluntary register of Sonographers will be expected by employers.
Please note that ‘sonographer’ is not currently a protected title in the UK and, at this present time, graduates will NOT be eligible to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council, although it is hoped that this will become a possibility in the future. For this reason, employment may not be possible in certain NHS trusts and some private sector organisations, although many organisations already employ sonographers from non-traditional backgrounds