Physiotherapists are in demand in the UK, so there’s never been a better time to study to help people affected by injury, illness or disability, and improve their quality of life.
Our accelerated programme will help you become a practicing physiotherapist with only two years of study, rather than the traditional three, with the aim to see in you in employment immediately after your graduation.
Our course is approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and when you successfully complete the course, you will be eligible to apply for registration to practice in the UK. The programme is also accredited by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) and you can apply for student membership.
We help you build on existing academic skills gained in your BSc (Hons) science based degree, to study patient management in key areas of physiotherapy, including cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal and neurology - learning all the skills you will need as a qualified physiotherapist to provide effective physical, psychological and social care.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Your employability is important to us, and so, on our course you will gain a breadth of work-placement experience and graduate with a strong clinical profile, which will enhance your CV.
We support you in developing leadership skills throughout the programme allowing you to apply your clinical expertise in a wide range of traditional and non-traditional settings, as well as, critical evaluation and research methods so you can be sure you know how to access and utilise the most up to date evidence in physiotherapy practice.
- We have a proven track record of enabling science graduates to make the transition to being a physiotherapist
- We are well respected across the North West region and UK with graduates in high demand from employers and usually starting work as a Band 5 Physiotherapist in the NHS immediately after graduation
- Excellent balance of academic theory and hands-on practice to boost your confidence stepping into a job
- Our strong partnerships with the NHS and other clinical placement providers enhance your clinical profile and your job prospects
- We organise five placements so you gain 1,000+ hours of clinical practice (necessary to apply for HCPC registration) in the NHS or private, charitable, voluntary and independent sector across North West England, Southern Scotland and the Isle of Man. This enables you to develop your examination, assessment and treatment skills in a range of health care settings, allowing you to graduate with a strong clinical profile
- Access to newly refurbished physiotherapy suites with professional facilities, mock clinical wards and simulation mannequins, allowing you to practice clinical skills before heading out onto placements
- You will gain crucial inter-professional experience of working with occupational therapy and other healthcare students, as you would in a clinical role
- Our small class sizes mean we get to know you as an individual and support you closely through your studies
- All academic tutors have professional experience as physiotherapists, occupational therapists or other health professions
- Our programme is supported by experienced clinicians and clients who contribute to lectures and practical sessions on specialist subjects
The clinical practice, research and theory learnt on our course will give you everything you need to be a fully-registered and qualified physiotherapist – but also a practitioner who is forward thinking and will be at the heart of future service developments.
We will support you to become a qualified practitioner and enable you to graduate with a e-portfolio showcasing your achievements throughout the programme, in line with the CPD requirements of the HCPC, essential to securing employment.