Bring your passion for Art & Design to the classroom and inspire the next generation. Art and Design remains an essential entitlement for every pupil and a vital way of fostering their visual, intellectual and social awareness and their observational, imaginative and creative making skills.
You will be supported by our committed, experienced and supportive tutors to plan, resource and deliver exciting and innovative lessons to pupils of all secondary ages and abilities. The course offers clear opportunities to develop your subject knowledge and learn from other students from a variety of art and design backgrounds. It includes extensive training in schools, so you are really well prepared for a career in art and design teaching.
You will learn how to teach your subject effectively, enthusiastically and successfully - from the basics of structuring and planning lessons through to developing pupils’ personal skills and confidence.
Curious about Teaching and what happens in our course? Follow our Institute of Education on Social Media:
Partners & Memberships
Your Career with a PGCE Teaching Qualification
This course has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built-in, allowing you to apply and go straight into a successful career as a teacher of art & design. Graduates have secured teaching jobs in secondary schools, independent schools, sixth form colleges and primary schools.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
One of our main course strengths is our continued support and the fact that we believe in you. Previous students have commented:
‘Tutors are fully supportive, helped boost my confidence and realistically prepared me for a career in teaching. Excellent role models, enthusiastic, organised and dedicated.’
We ensure that our course gives you plenty of hands-on experience – whether delivering lessons, using technology in the classroom (ICT), - to preparing you to confidently step into and lead a classroom.
You won’t be dropped in at the deep end. You will start by observing and team teaching, leading onto working with small groups of pupils, gradually building up to the teaching of whole classes to reach the required standard of professional practice.
- £1,000 cash payment and accommodation scholarship for UCLAN, Lancaster University, University of Salford and Queen Mary University of London graduates wanting to enrol on one of our campus-based teacher training programmes. More information here.
- Benefit from the Department for Education's subject-specific bursaries and scholarships.
- Accredited by the Department for Education (DfE) and the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted)
- Our excellent partnerships with schools in and beyond Lancashire and Cumbria enhance your placement and job prospects
- A high number of our students get offered jobs from teaching placements
- Experience two contrasting school placements where you can put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into real-world practice, giving you the essential hands-on experience you need for future employment.
- Our academic tutors have backgrounds as highly experienced secondary teachers and know what it is like to be a professional teacher. Their first-hand experience will support your learning
- Tutors are active researchers in education, so your learning will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will support you throughout your studies and your subject mentor will support your professional development at your placement
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment providing easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well stocked with education books and journals you need for research
- Access to free practical workshops to refine and develop your own art and design skills with our experienced and supportive staff. These will include expressive drawing, printmaking, 3D work, ceramics, textiles, bookmaking, animation and filmmaking –to enhance your classroom competencies even further.
- Access to new and modern social and study spaces, technology and facilities on campus
Our Lancaster campus is also home to our The Learning, Education and Development (LED) research centre, where our tutors are involved in leading and publishing high-quality educational research to inform educational practice and policy.
During the past 100 years, with our founding institutions St Martin’s College in Lancaster and Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside, we’ve gained a great track record for inspiring and training.
Our course will give you the right start to your future as a successful art & design teacher and a valuable contributor to any art & design department.
So, kick-start your career as an art & design teacher to share your passion with young people, nurture their minds and make a difference in the classroom.