Inspire the next generation to appreciate the excitement and importance of Chemistry in our world by sharing your passion for Chemistry.
We’ve designed our highly-rated PGCE Secondary Chemistry with QTS so that you will graduate knowing how to confidently devise and deliver interesting lessons to engage young minds about all aspects of this subject
You will be supported by our expert tutors to plan, resource and deliver lessons to pupils of all secondary ages and abilities. This means that you will leave the course knowing how to teach effectively while also maintaining the interest and enthusiasm of your pupils.
Our PGCE course includes QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and we will also help you apply for a position as a secondary school teacher during the course.
Curious about Teaching and what happens in our course? Follow our Institute of Education on Social Media:
Partners & Memberships
Your Career with a PGCE Teaching Qualification
With QTS built-in, you'll be able to apply for a position as a high school science teacher immediately after graduation.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our PGCE Secondary Chemistry with QTS is fully compliant with Department for Education (DfE) requirements, meaning that you will do placements for a minimum of 120 days in two contrasting schools, giving you the essential experiences you need to pass the course and to prepare you for future employment as a teacher.
We also ensure that our course gives you plenty of practical experience – whether delivering lessons, using technology in the classroom (ICT) or assessing work - to prepare you to confidently step into and lead a classroom.
You won’t be dropped in the deep end. You will start by working with individual groups of pupils in school and gradually build up to the teaching of whole classes so you can develop the appropriate levels of learning in pupils required of you in the QTS Teachers' Standards.
- £1,000 cash payment and accommodation scholarship for UCLAN, Lancaster University, University of Salford and Queen Mary University of London graduates wanting to enrol on one of our campus-based teacher training programmes. More information here.
- Benefit from the Department for Education's subject-specific bursaries and scholarships.
- Our excellent partnerships with schools in Lancashire, Cumbria and further afield enhance your placement and job prospects
- Many of our students are offered jobs from their teaching placement schools
- Experience two contrasting school placements where you can put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into practice, giving you valuable work experience
- Our academic tutors have backgrounds as highly-experienced secondary teachers or within the education sector and so their first-hand experience will support your learning
- Our tutors are active researchers in education, so your learning will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will guide you throughout your studies and your subject mentor will support your professional development in your placement school
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment provides easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well stocked with education books and journals you need for research
- Study at our friendly and vibrant campus in Lancaster
- Access to new and modern social and study spaces, technology and facilities on campus
Our Lancaster campus is also home to our The Learning, Education and Development (LED) research centre, where our tutors are involved in leading and publishing high-quality educational research to inform educational practice and policy.
During the past 100 years, with our founding institutions, St Martin’s College in Lancaster and Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside, we have gained a great track record for inspiring teachers and helping them step into employment.
So, if you would like to inspire young people to share your love for Chemistry, our course is the perfect stepping stone on your journey to becoming an enthusiastic and reflective qualified teacher.