IMPORTANT NOTICE: Skills Tests no longer required
Inspire the next generation to appreciate, enjoy and deepen their understanding of mathematics by sharing your passion for the subject and training to become a teacher of mathematics
We’ve designed our highly-rated PGCE Secondary Education in Mathematics with QTS so you will graduate knowing how to devise and deliver interesting lessons that engage young minds and develop a life long love of mathematics.
The course has QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) built-in, enabling you to apply for a position as a secondary school teacher during the course with confidence, knowing how to teach effectively.
Curious about Teaching and what happens in our course? Follow our Institute of Education on Social Media:
Partners & Memberships
Your Career with a PGCE Teaching Qualification
This course can lead to a fulfilling career as a mathematics teacher at a secondary school. With qualified teacher status (QTS), you will be able to apply for positions immediately after graduation.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our PGCE Secondary Education in Mathematics is fully compliant with the Department for Education (DfE) requirements, so you can expect to do a minimum of 120 days in two contrasting schools giving you the essential hands-on experience you need for future employment as a teacher.
Plus, we ensure that our course gives you plenty of practical experience – whether delivering lessons, using technology in the classroom (ICT), assessing work - to prepare you to confidently step into and lead a classroom.
You won’t be dropped in the deep end. You will start by working with individual groups of pupils in school and gradually build up to the teaching of whole classes so you can develop the appropriate levels of learning in pupils required of you in the QTS Teachers' Standards.
- £1,000 cash payment and accommodation scholarship for UCLAN, Lancaster University, University of Salford and Queen Mary University of London graduates wanting to enrol on one of our campus-based teacher training programmes. More information here.
- Benefit from the Department for Education's subject-specific bursaries and scholarships.
- Our excellent partnerships with schools in Lancashire, Cumbria and further afield enhance your placement and job prospects
- A high number of our students are offered jobs from their teaching placements
- Experience two contrasting school placements where you can put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into real-world practice, giving you valuable work experience
- Our academic tutors have backgrounds as highly-experienced secondary teachers or within the education sector and knowing what it is like to be a professional teacher, their first-hand experience will support your learning
- Our tutors are active researchers in education, so your learning will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will guide you throughout your studies and your subject mentor will support your professional development at your placement
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment providing easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well stocked with education books and journals you need for research
- Study at our friendly and vibrant campus in Lancaster
- Access to new and modern social and study spaces, technology and facilities on campus
Our Lancaster campus is also home to our The Learning, Education and Development (LED) research centre, where our tutors are involved in leading and publishing high-quality educational research to inform educational practice and policy.
During the past 100 years, with our founding institutions, St Martin’s College in Lancaster and Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside, we have gained a great track record for inspiring teachers and helping them step into employment.
So, if you would love to share your mathematics knowledge and passion for the subject with young people, our course is the perfect stepping stone on your journey to becoming a successful and reflective qualified teacher.