We’ve designed our highly-rated PGCE Secondary in Modern Foreign Languages so that you will graduate knowing how to confidently devise and deliver engaging lessons in the target language that widen learners’ linguistic and cultural horizons.
You will be supported by our expert tutors and visiting MFL teachers to teach learners of all secondary ages and abilities, to assess their progress in a range of linguistic skills and to develop their confidence in using the target language to fulfil their own communicative needs.
Our PGCE course includes QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and we will also help you apply for a position as a secondary school teacher during the course.
‘Learning a foreign language is a liberation from insularity and provides an opening to other cultures’ (National Curriculum, 2014). We strongly believe in this opening statement of the National Curriculum for Modern Languages (MFL) and further support the idea that effective MFL teaching should enable pupils to ‘say what they want to say’ (Burch, 2010) in the target language.
Curious about Teaching and what happens in our course? Follow our Institute of Education on Social Media:
Partners & Memberships
Your Career with a PGCE Teaching Qualification
You'll have qualified teacher status which will allow you to immediately apply for an exciting career as a French, Spanish or German teacher at secondary school. The Master FLE and ELE will qualify you to teach in a range of international contexts, including university.
Our former students have found rewarding careers in the UK and around the globe, teaching languages in a range of international contexts. The PGCE is highly valued in the Commonwealth and beyond.
For those French and Spanish students whose home institutions have a partnership arrangement with the University of Cumbria, the PGCE with QTS is equivalent to the second and final year of Master 2. This means that you can gain two qualifications (Master 2 and a PGCE with QTS) in two, rather than three, years of study: Master 1 + PGCE with QTS.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our PGCE Secondary in Modern Foreign Languages is fully compliant with the Department for Education (DfE) requirements meaning that you will do placements for a minimum of 120 days in two contrasting schools, giving you the essential experiences you need to pass the course and to prepare you for future employment as a teacher.
We also ensure that our course gives you plenty of classroom-based experience – e.g. delivering lessons, using technology in the classroom (ICT), assessing work, and preparing learners for their national examinations so that you feel ready to embrace your professional role.
The course has been designed to gradually increase your work experience so that you gently build up to the teaching of whole classes and to meeting all the requirements set out in the QTS Teachers' Standards.
- £1,000 cash payment and accommodation scholarship for UCLAN, Lancaster University, University of Salford and Queen Mary University of London graduates wanting to enrol on one of our campus-based teacher training programmes. More information here.
- Benefit from the Department for Education's subject-specific bursaries and scholarships.
- Our excellent partnerships with schools in Lancashire, Cumbria and further afield enhance your placement and job prospects
- A high number of our students get offered jobs from teaching placements
- Experience two contrasting school placements where you can put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into real-world practice, giving you valuable work experience
- Our academic tutors have backgrounds as highly-experienced secondary teachers or within the education sector and knowing what it is like to be a professional teacher, their first-hand experience will support your learning
- Our tutors are active researchers in education, so your learning will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will guide you throughout your studies and your subject mentor will support your professional development at your placement
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment providing easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well stocked with education books and journals you need for research
- Free use of classroom props and learning aids that you can use on placements to enhance your teaching
- Flexibility to study either online or at our friendly and vibrant campus in Lancaster
- Access to new and modern social and study spaces, technology and facilities on campus
Our Lancaster campus is also home to our Learning, Education and Development (LED) research centre, where our tutors are involved in leading and publishing high-quality educational research to inform educational practice and policy.
During the past 100 years, with our founding institutions, St Martin’s College in Lancaster and Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside, we have gained a great track record for inspiring teachers and helping them step into employment.
So, if you would love to share your zest for language learning with young people, spark and stimulate their minds to learn a rewarding subject, our course is the stepping stone to becoming a qualified modern foreign language teacher.