MA - Social Work
If you have a clear desire and motivation to work with and support the most vulnerable people in society, a MA in Social Work is for you.
Extend your knowledge, engage in research production and dissemination, and undertake 170 days of practical placement to improve your skills in a real world setting. Become a registered Social Worker and work with your local community to support people who need it.
This course is designed to be sector-specific. It integrates values, knowledge and skills you need to fulfil the professional requirements of registration. You will learn about the knowledge and skills required for practice from our expert lecturers, while exploring contemporary issues impacting social work and social justice, spurring you on to get actively involved in the development of future practice.
Our excellent relationships with local employers, particularly practice placement providers and educators in practice settings will support your professional development. We work closely with a range of key partner and stakeholder agencies including a number of Experts by Experience. You'll complete two placements, 70 days in the first year and 100 days in the second, to gain real-world experience in social work and bolster your CV and future job prospects.
On this course you will...
- Study a range of academic modules to enhance your knowledge on the role and remit of a social worker working in different settings.
- Complete 30 skills days and a further 170 days in placement. The successful completion of which will enable you to register with Social Work England as a registered social worker.
- Develop your academic skills with the assistance and support of a personal tutor who will be assigned to you on entry to the programme for the duration of your studies.
- Benefit from working closely alongside fellow students and academics to build up meaningful, engaging and productive professional relationships to enhance your personal and professional journey.
- Gain hands-on practice experience with our modern facilities, including our mock house to simulate home visits and hospital wards for practising hospital discharge meetings.
Carlisle - Fusehill Street Campus
The Fusehill Street campus has been the setting of life-saving treatments since World War I. Now, it's home to world changers, life-savers, crime fighters, and entrepreneurs with access to high-quality facilities and innovative thinking.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.