Extend your knowledge, engage in research production and dissemination, as well as practical placements and take the next step towards your professional development.
The MA in Social Work is available for people with an undergraduate degree, and a clear desire and motivation to work with and support the most vulnerable people in society. Successful completion will lead to the professional qualification necessary to seek registration as a Social Worker.
We designed our course to be sector-specific. So, it integrates values, knowledge and skills you need to fulfil the professional requirements of registration. In these sessions you will not only learn about the knowledge and skills required for practice but also be able to explore and debate contemporary issues impacting social work and social justice, spurring you on to get actively involved in the development of future practice.
Local employers consistently employ more of our graduates than any other university, that’s because they consider our graduates fit to practice.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
The excellent opportunities we afford our students, meet people in the social care system and learn about their experiences, become an expert in social work.
We have a great reputation and are highly-regarded for our social work provision –many of our students successfully join Cumbria County Council’s social work academy scheme, while others have gone onto practitioners or managers in social care.
Our course will challenge you academically, but you won’t just learn the theory, you’ll get a good insight into the profession through 170 days of professional placements, simulated home visits and hospital meetings, talking to people in the care system and current professionals.
- Accredited by Social Work England.
- Eligible to apply for registration as a social worker with Social England after graduating
- Get two placements - 70 days in the first year and 100 days in the second - to gain real-world experience in social work and bolster your CV and job prospects
- Our great connections with local authorities, charities and health care providers enhances your placement and career prospects
- Tutors are qualified social workers or have a social care background
- Tutors have published books and are involved in research which makes your learning current and informed by best practice
- Boost your hands-on experience of social work with our modern facilities, including; our mock house to simulate home visits and hospital wards for practicing hospital discharge meetings
- The course draws on the wide range of practice and research experience provided by our teaching team, giving you the most up-to-date knowledge in the field
- Bolster your care skills by meeting people in the social care system and learning about their experience
- Innovative learning techniques, including video recording and web-based technologies, will ensure your social work skills are honed to the highest level
- Learn to work as a team and develop leadership skills to manage a team to boost your future career
Social Work ranks in the Top 10 nationally for 'Satisfied with Course'
- Guardian University Guide 2021
You will study at our Carlisle Fusehill Street campus - within 30 minutes of Scotland in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park in the other. So, you’ll never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
Our practical ethos will see you apply your academic know-how to the workplace, enhancing your abilities on the job and standing your CV out from the crowd for a successful start as a passionate social worker.
Students who have completed this course have gone onto work as social workers, practitioners and managers in the social care field.