Click here to edit using the old editor Click here to edit page settings



We are committed to providing an environment that is healthy, safe and considerate of the welfare of the children, young people and vulnerable adults who access its services and facilities.

Safeguarding Policy and Procedure

Our Safeguarding Policy and Procedure outlines the approaches implemented along with other internal policies, procedures and protocols which are in place to achieve this. Relevant to all staff and students, it makes reference to child protection, safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults.

A range of other information is available for students or staff who would like advice. This includes a quick reference guide on what to do if someone tells you they are concerned about a child, young person or vulnerable adult. More detailed information about this can be found in sections 3, 4 and 5 of the Safeguarding Procedure.

Contact a Member of Staff

Our trained Safeguarding Officers are here to help with all your concerns. We have staff at each campus for your convenience - find your officers here. The roles and responsibilities of our staff are available to view here: SafeguardingOfficerRolesFlowChart.

To read through our annual Safeguarding reports, click the links below:

Safeguarding Annual Report 2019-20 (PDF)

Safeguarding Annual Report 2018-19 (PDF)

Safeguarding Annual Report 2017-18 (PDF)

Safeguarding Annual Report 2016-17 (PDF)

Safeguarding Annual Report 2015-16 (PDF)

Safeguarding Annual Report 2014-15 (PDF)

Safeguarding Annual Report 2013-14 (PDF)

Safeguarding Annual Report 2012-13 (PDF)

Contact an External Organisation

If you can’t speak to a Safeguarding Officer, you can contact either the Cumbria or Lancashire Safeguarding Children Board.

These Boards also provide a range of useful information. Additionally, you can contact Children’s Service (child protection concerns regarding children under 18) or Social Services (vulnerable adults) or even the Police if you have an immediate concern.

If the concern you are reporting relates to a person associated with the University, please contact the Lead Safeguarding Officer at the earliest opportunity.

Other Useful Links & Contact Information

NSPCC - what to do if you are worried about a child or young person

Safeguarding Adults (Social Care Services)

Explore the topic