On occasion it is necessary for students to stay in temporary accommodation during their placement.

Using public transport in some areas of Cumbria can make it difficult to access placements. When a student is unable to drive it is likely that they will require accommodation when allocated a placement in the following locations; Keswick, Cockermouth, Whitehaven, Cleator Moor, Egremont and Caldbeck. The provision of accommodation is not limited to these areas.

Students may be able to claim back the cost of accommodation from the NHS Business Service Authority, details can be found here.

The University can cover the upfront costs of any accommodation that a student is eligible to reclaim from the NHS Business Service Authority. Please note we can only make payments via procurement card. If you have any queries, please email PLUStudents@cumbria.ac.uk

To request accommodation booking via the Placement Unit you must complete an Accommodation Request Form

The University will issue an invoice to students at the end of their stay in the accommodation that covers the cost incurred. Students must then claim the amount from the NHS Business Service Authority to pay the invoice. The University accepts no liability should the NHS Business Service Authority refuse to pay a claim, it is important that students check that a claim will be paid before making a booking or incurring any costs.

Students are required to pay any damage or miscellaneous costs during their stay. The University does not accept liability for any loss or damage which occurs as a result of a student staying in temporary accommodation. Students are responsible for ensuring accommodation is vacated on time and left in a satisfactory state.

The NHS Business Services Authority guidance states; “As part of the Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses (TDAE) arrangements, you may be able to claim the cost of taking temporary accommodation near to your practice placement site if it is not possible or practical for you to travel there from your normal term time address on a daily basis.”

The list below is not exclusive and is not vetted by UoC but is intended to assist students finding accommodation when on placement.

In addition to the information, you can also check for local letting agencies, especially if there is a university near to your placement as there may also be private student lets/shared accommodation available.

National Accommodation Providers

Holiday Inn

Premier Inn


Accommodation Search Engines




Visit England

Area Specific Links and Information

Blackpool Victoria Hospital

Although accommodation is not normally available at the Victoria Hospital in Blackpool, the Accommodation Office has local contacts and information for students staying in the area.  Please contact the Accommodations Office for advice and information via 01253 (9)53772.


Aveeva Property Group - an AirBnB in Workington

Cumbria Student Pad

D Clark Properites, Barrow in Furness.   Contact Denise Clark on 07811 147083

JEM Lettings, Barrow-in-Furness

Nordic Suites, Ulverston or email info@nordicsuites.com or phone 01229 584 308

Stephanie Marshall - Shared house in Morland, 3 rooms available.  stephhmarshall@hotmail.com

Summergrove Halls, Whitehaven

The Hayloft, St Bees

UNest, Carlisle or contact Ian Irving on 01228 217337

Victoria House - Barrow in Furness

Isle Of Man

Visit Isle of Man


OT students placed within the Lancashire Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust can ask the Therapy Secretaries on therapy.secretaries@lthtr.nhs.uk for information on accommodation whilst on placement with them if required.


AirBnB House in the Prestwich Area (Superhost)

AirBnB House in the Prestwich Area (Superhost - different property to above)

Moregeous (AirBnB and Rentals)



Hamilton House, Dumfries

NHS Information for Edinburgh


Visit Scotland



Back to Travel Information

Continue to Health and Safety

Edit Page