MA - Counselling and Psychotherapy
If you're interested in supporting people and the world of the psyche intrigue you, you can make an immense impact on the lives of others by becoming a counsellor or psychotherapist.
You can combine your compassionate character with the academic knowledge and practical skills you need to competently and compassionately help people explore their difficulties, express their feelings and work towards deeper self-awareness and understanding.
On this course, you will explore how to work with others as they explore and experience pain/trauma. Throughout, you will consider mental health and illness and work with clients presenting with a wide range of issues – including those who are suicidal, experiencing grief, loss, or trauma.
You will learn to fully comprehend the processes your clients go through and will train to become emotionally and psychologically resilient– a key trait required for your future as a therapist. Our aim is to see you become an ethically competent practitioner who can positively transform the lives of clients and alleviate their personal distress in both a professional and reflective way. During the course, you will need to complete 100 supervised counselling practice hours.
On this course you will...
- Explore and apply counselling and psychotherapeutic literature to current issues, contexts and experiences with a specific focus on the person centred modality.
- Be given high quality support and guidance by our lecturing team who are active in their research and practice.
- Learn valuable transferrable skills in PG research, which are highly sought after by employers.
- Have the opportunity to choose topics and areas that you want to learn more about to tailor your learning experience through your assessments e.g. ethical dilemmas, literature reviews an case studies.
- On graduation, you will be eligible to apply for individual membership of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), and may also apply for registration, subject to passing the BACP Certificate of Proficiency.
Lancaster is the Red Rose heartland, a student haven full of history and culture. With iconic stone architecture, parkland, and a caring community, this is the place to get involved. The campus houses top-quality facilities tailored to the needs of life-savers, world changers, and future leaders.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.