Interested in listening to and supporting people? Does the world of the psyche intrigue you? - You can make an immense impact on the lives of others by becoming a counsellor or psychotherapist.
Our MA in Counselling and Psychotherapy course adheres to the training requirements of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and is designed to challenge you personally and professionally.
You will combine your caring character with the academic knowledge and practical skills you need to competently and compassionately help people explore their difficulties, express their feelings and work towards deeper self-awareness and understanding.
On graduation, you will be eligible to apply for individual membership of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), and may also apply for registration, subject to passing the BACP Certificate of Proficiency.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Whether you are looking for a complete change of career or want to learn advanced practitioner skills to enhance your current career, our expert tutors will personally guide and support you.
We have designed our course to be highly self-reflective What that means is you will go on your own unique and personal journey to discover more about you.
You will be supported to explore the impact of your own pain/trauma on your capacity to work with others as they explore and experience theirs. This can be a challenging but, often, transformative experience.
We’ve done this so that you can more fully comprehend the processes your clients go through and also become emotionally and psychologically resilient– a key trait requited for your future as a therapist.
- The course follows the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) guidelines and training meets the demands of employers and the current health agenda
- We support you with counselling placements thanks to our great links with external organisations. Our students work with clients in local charitable organisations, high schools and colleges, within hospice and cancer care and within drug and alcohol rehabilitation centres.
- Complete 100 supervised counselling practice hours as a requirement of the course
- Hands-on course giving you plenty of experience working as a practitioner in a 1:1 setting, so you boost your CV with the practical skills that employers look for
- Challenging but life-enhancing course, which doesn’t just upgrade your degree but enhances your own mental wellbeing
- Great support from a personal tutor, who will support you academically and emotionally, so you develop all the practical skills and emotional robustness needed to become a great practitioner
- All academic tutors work as counsellors and psychotherapists, so they will bring their first-hand experience to the classroom, giving you real-world insight into the profession
- Tutors carry-out their own research and private study, appropriate to their own areas of interest and/or expertise. Recent publications have included an exploration of outdoor therapy (2014) and the experience of grief through illness (2015, 2017)
- Consider mental health and illness and be supported to work with clients presenting with a wide range of issues – including those who are suicidal and those experiencing grief, loss and trauma
- Develop competence to work ethically and professionally with a wide range of client groups (16 years and above) and will benefit from the support of individual clinical supervision throughout your practice - as per BACP guidelines
- Enjoy a weekend residential where you will focus on your personal and professional development
- Training includes – lectures and seminars, practical workshops, observation and counselling skills development sessions, informal presentations and group work
The research you conduct as part of your studies (MA only) will not only enable you to become a research practitioner, but will also see you contributing this important and ever-changing field and paves the way to further research and academic study, should you wish.
Our aim is to see you become an ethically competent practitioner who can positively transform the lives of clients and alleviate their personal distress in both a professional and reflective way.
So, for a rigorous course that will challenge you personally, professionally and academically to kick-start a rewarding career helping others, our MA in counselling and psychotherapy is for you.
Your qualification will help gain work in a variety of settings including schools, the NHS and voluntary agencies. The skills you learn will be useful in a wide variety of work outside of therapy, with the research techniques you gain preparing you for a higher level course (e.g. PhD) should you be interested.