Header Image Credit: "Skatequay" by Lucy Hadley
Whether you are progressing from undergraduate studies or you are an established professional with a desire to diversify your practice, our exciting and innovative course will boost your creative portfolio.
The Creative Practice master's brings together students and professionals from a variety of disciplines including film, graphic design, illustration, photography, wildlife and adventure media, games design and digital art. So, you will be part of a dynamic and supportive creative community.
The choice is yours. You can specialise in one area of practice or work on projects, either individually or collaboratively, across multiple media. Our MA will give you the technical, theoretical and applied knowledge to develop the flexible skills needed to forge a career within a constantly shifting cultural landscape.
You will explore creative materials and processes, practice-led research, storytelling techniques and the entrepreneurial skills needed to help you succeed as a confident, forward-thinking practitioner. And, at the end of your course, you will present your final work in our MA Show.
Partners & Memberships
You Career with a Master's Degree
You'll have the skills and knowledge of a range of visual media disciplines, including Film & Television Production, Graphic Design, Illustration, Photography, Digital Art & Games Design and Wildlife & Adventure Media. This will expand your employability potential and give you vital knowledge to work across mediums.
Our graduates have become commercial artists, gallery curators and have gone to work on Film & TV, fashion and education.
Video Credit: "There Must Be Light" by Richard Berry & Craig Charters - MA Creative Practice; Music by Imogen Rae
Why choose the University of Cumbria
- Academic practitioners are experts in their field, have published and/or exhibited nationally and internationally and are involved in practice-led research
- Professional development is built into module content - tutors have great industry links (including a Hollywood scriptwriter), which gives you the opportunity to network and make industry contacts
- Freedom to experiment and transform your own innovative practices - to develop projects vertically and laterally across and between traditional subject boundaries
- Study in professionally-set up workspaces that include Mac and PC computer suites carrying the latest high-specification design and video production software and hardware
- Access to studio facilities you will use as a professional, including editing suites, motion capture technology and a television studio with a full lighting rig and multi-camera set-up
- Access to all of our workshop areas and technical staff, including printmaking, 3D printing, life-drawing, laser cutting, reprographics, ceramics, wood shop and textiles
- Opportunities to showcase your work within a professional context including the final MA show and the New Designers exhibition in London
- Links with arts organisations, including the Lakes International Comic Art Festival, opening up opportunities for live projects and collaboration.
- Excellent resources include a specialist arts library so you can keep up-to-date with contemporary practices and research
You will study on our dedicated Brampton Road campus - a vibrant arts environment - where you will live and learn with fellow creative students. The site overlooks the river Eden and border city of Carlisle, with Scotland a short distance in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park - a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other. Add to that the spectacular Solway Coast, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and you’ll never be stuck for inspiration.
All you need to bring is a passion for your creative practice, a willingness to share it with others and an enthusiasm to explore your potential and we will prepare you for the next important steps in your career.