The MSc Midwifery (Pre-registration) course aims to prepare you for the complex, demanding, and rewarding area of midwifery. Become an advocate for birthing parents and newborn infants and collaborate with the wider health team to ensure a safe and successful journey. You'll build on your undergraduate experience and become a fully-qualified midwife in three years. Upon successful graduation, you'll be eligible for registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council as a qualified midwife.
To gain vital real-world experience, 50% of your course is spent on placement. Placement experience provides opportunities for you to experience pregnancy and childbearing over the full continuum and includes shorter spoke placements offering a variety of experience in areas such as special care baby units, theatres and strengthening family teams. This course will allow you to obtain sought-after postgraduate credentials, with a NHS Band 5 prospective starting salary.
On this course you will...
- Have the opportunity to undertake work-based practice (worth 50% of your time) to reinforce the theory developed during on-campus classes.
- Be supported by lectures with extensive experience in clinical midwifery and who are all registered Midwives with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
- Have access to our state of the art midwifery clinical skills facilities within the University which will enable you to develop your hands on clinical skills in a safe and supportive environment.
- Be provided with a wide variety of learning opportunities in practice as well as varying academic assessments including written work, presentations, practical exams (OSCEs) and professional discussions.
- Register as a Midwife with the Nursing and Midwifery Council in the UK upon graduation.
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.