If you want a rewarding career as an occupational therapist, one who confidently enhances the lives and wellbeing of people facing physical, mental or social challenges, then our course is for you.
This course is fully accredited by the Royal College of Occupational Therapists and approved by the Health and Care Professions Council and designed to equip you with all the academic know-how and valuable hands-on skills you will need to become a qualified professional in this field.
You will learn the profession-specific practice which meet the needs of employers and you will achieve this through academic, hands-on learning and a range of clinical practice. This includes working in a variety of settings with children and people with physical, social or mental health issues.
The experience you will get working alongside qualified professionals will bolster your CV and give you the essential, specialist experience that will set you apart from the crowd in interviews.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
- Eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) - a prerequisite to practice in the UK by doing more than 1,000 hours of work-based practice, as part of your course, to secure your accreditation
- Academic tutors have professional experience as occupational therapists and have worked in fields, including neurology and forensics, and will bring their experience to their teaching
- Work alongside and be guided by qualified therapists. Plus, we bring in specialist practitioners who will impart their knowledge, experience and research to help you enhance your own practice
- Our good links with NHS Trusts, third sector and health and social care organisations provide you with good placement and job prospects
- Gain crucial experience of working with other healthcare students, including physiotherapy, social work and nursing, as you would in a professional role
- Small class sizes mean we get to know you as an individual and support you closely through your studies
- Take part in enrichment events, such as our recent Neuro Day where students heard from real service users
- Opportunity to complete a research project in an area of occupational therapy which interests you
- Practice placements can be within NHS, county council, private, voluntary and independent sector organisations and in a range of settings from hospitals, health and day centres, care homes or places of work.
- Take you final practice either in the UK or abroad, giving you the opportunity to experience working as an occupational therapist internationally*
Great transport links from Carlisle to major cities - including Newcastle, Glasgow and Manchester, make it easier for you to travel to our campus, which is within easy reach of the stunning Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage site, so if you are staying in this vibrant city, you will never be stuck for something to do outside of your studies.
With all that we do, we have earned an excellent reputation for educating occupational therapists and our students are sought after by employers in the NHS and, increasingly, in the social care and private voluntary and independent sector.
So, our MSc in Occupational Therapy will enable you to research, discover and develop to become a confident and professional occupational therapist.
For queries about this course, please contact email@example.com.
Follow @OTCumbria on Twitter to see how our students are developing as Occupational Therapists.
You will be eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council, leading to work in the NHS, private and voluntary sectors, or overseas work, and membership of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists. Expansion of the role has led to exciting new developments and opportunities.