English is essential to a young person’s future success. Could you bring your love of English to the classroom and inspire pupils to enjoy literature and achieve the best levels of literacy they can?
This course will enable you to learn all about the National Curriculum framework in English – Language, Literature, Drama and Media - through to individual lesson plans.
You will be supported by our expert tutors to plan, resource and deliver engaging lessons to pupils of all secondary ages and abilities so that you leave the course knowing how to teach effectively, whilst keeping the interest and enthusiasm of your pupils.
The PGCE course includes QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and students will be helped to apply for a position as a secondary school teacher during their studies and teaching practice.
Curious about Teaching and what happens in our course? Follow our Institute of Education on Social Media:
Partners & Memberships
Your Career with a PGCE Teaching Qualification
We have a strong tradition of graduates becoming full-time, fully-qualified English teachers throughout the UK. You'll be able to go straight into secondary school teaching, and depending on prior experience and skills, you may be able to apply for jobs contributing to drama and media courses.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our PGCE Secondary English is fully compliant with Department for Education (DfE) requirements, so you can expect to spend a minimum of 120 days in two contrasting schools giving you the essential experiences you need to pass the course and to prepare you for future employment as a teacher.
Additionally, we ensure that our course gives you plenty of hands-on experience in delivering lessons, using technology in the classroom (ICT) and assessing work, so you can confidently step into and lead a classroom.
You won’t be dropped in the deep end. You will start by observing groups of pupils in school, team-teaching and gradually build up to the teaching of whole classes so you can develop the appropriate levels of learning in pupils required of you by the QTS Teachers' Standards.
- £1,000 cash payment and accommodation scholarship for UCLAN, Lancaster University, University of Salford and Queen Mary University of London graduates wanting to enrol on one of our campus-based teacher training programmes. More information here.
- Benefit from the Department for Education's subject-specific bursaries and scholarships.
- Our excellent partnerships with schools in Lancashire and Cumbria enhance your placement and job prospects
- Many of our students are offered jobs from their teaching placement schools
- Experience two contrasting school placements where you can put the theory you learn in lectures and seminars into real-world practice, giving you valuable work experience
- Our academic tutors have backgrounds as highly-experienced secondary teachers or within the education sector and their first-hand experience will support your learning which will be up-to-date and fresh with the latest thinking, technologies and practices
- A personal tutor will guide you throughout your studies and your subject mentor will support your professional development at your placement
- Easy access to our Blackboard Virtual Learning Environment providing easy online access to course material, as well as our library, well-stocked with education books and journals you need for research
- Study at our friendly campus in Lancaster
- Access to new and modern social and study spaces, technology and facilities on campus
Our Lancaster campus is also home to our The Learning, Education and Development (LED) research centre, where our tutors are involved in leading and publishing high-quality educational research to inform educational practice and policy.
During the past 100 years, with our founding institutions St Martin’s College in Lancaster and Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside, we’ve gained a great track record for inspiring and training.
Our course will give you the right start to your future as a successful English teacher and make you a great candidate for any English department.
So, kick-start your career as an English teacher to share your passion with young people, nurture their minds and make a difference in the classroom.