Why choose school direct at Cumbria?
Get hands on experience in one of our 20 school partnerships across the North of England, boosting your employability whilst you train.
School Direct places are offered based on a school's assessment of future employment needs, meaning that you may be considered for a vacancy within your alliance after your training.
Benefit from the support of experienced school mentors and expert university tutors.
Put theory into practice from the start of your course, with in-school placements as the foundation of your learning.
Partnership Schools in the UK
The University of Cumbria is partnered with a wide selection of schools across the North, from the heart of Cumbria to Manchester and Merseyside. Our wide-spanning School Direct region encompasses both our Carlisle Fusehill Street and Lancaster Campuses, so your placement school is never far from your on-campus learning hub. Take a look at our partner alliances below.
- Bishop Rawstorne School Direct
- Blackburn TEAM Alliance, Blackburn
- Blackburn with Darwen Education Alliance
- Blackpool Sea View Trust School Direct
- Carlisle School Direct
- Catholic Teaching Alliance
- Dallam Teaching Alliance
- EveryoneLearning @ Hawthorns/Mossley/Hollins/Limetree Teaching Partnership
- Great Schools Trust
- Kendal Primary Partnership
- Learning Futures Partnership
- Omega Teaching Partnership
- Pennine Lancashire
- Pennine Teaching School Alliance
- Preston Primary and Secondary Alliance
- St Ninians Catholic Federation
- Teach Heart Alliance
- Teach North West
- Teach Manchester
Frequently Asked Questions
School Direct provides a unique PGCE experience, and it does differ from a traditional Postgraduate Teacher Training course in some ways. Learn more below.
How is School Direct Different From A Typical PGCE?
Which School Direct Routes are Available at the University of Cumbria?
What Our Students Have to Say
I landed a job back in April, before I had even finished the course, in an outstanding academy school in Blackburn. I will be teaching Reception children and I'm very excited to start my career as an NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher).
PGCE Primary Education with QTS - School Direct Route, Class of 2021