Want a career as a professional forest manager? Then, our degree - the only professional forestry BSc (Hons) in England - is the qualification for you. Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Foresters, the forestry sector's professional body, the course will teach you about the management of forests and woodlands for commercial, recreation and conservation.
Our National School of Forestry, based in the iconic Lake District National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is the ideal place to explore the science and practice of managing forests. You'll live and learn on our friendly Ambleside campus, the only university campus in a national park, which is also home to the Centre for National Parks and Protected Areas, where our tutors are involved in producing high-quality research that informs our teaching, your learning and aims to bring about positive change in the natural world.
And, thanks to our excellent links with forestry organisations, we have a strong graduate employment record too.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
From our campus in Ambleside, you’ll have the unique opportunity to study in woodlands managed for conservation, recreation, landscape and timber production.
- The course is accredited by the Institute of Chartered Foresters (ICF), the forestry sector professional body, and has been awarded the maximum points available by it
- We have more than 50 years educating and training professional and award-winning foresters
- Experience hands-on forestry frequently, thanks to our practical-focused approach
- Use the latest technology such as GIS, remote sensing and drones during your studies
- Opportunity for work experience, often paid in some beautiful locations throughout the UK
- Taught by tutors who have worked as professional foresters and bring their first-hand experience to their teaching
- Tutors are involved in conducting ground-breaking, international research, which will inform your learning
- Small class sizes mean you’ll get personal tutor guidance and support throughout your studies
- We have excellent links with Royal Forestry Society, Institute of Chartered Foresters (ICF) and other forestry organisations, which boosts your networking and employment prospects
- Our students have skills and knowledge that is attractive to forestry employers and we have a strong record of graduate employment
- Chances to win prizes from a variety of forestry organisations
Ambleside, close to the shores of Windermere, is a great place to live with access to the recreational opportunities afforded by the Lake District National Park. And, on campus you have access to modern research and teaching labs, lecture and seminar rooms, IT facilities and a library with a broad range of up-to-date digital and hard-copy resources.
If you want a rewarding career in a sector that is hugely important for biodiversity, society and our economy, then this professional course will enable you to gain the skills and experience required for a successful career in forestry.