Want a career as a professional forest manager? Then, our degree - the only professional forestry BSc (Hons) in England - is the qualification for you.
You’ll explore the science and practice of managing forests at our National School of Forestry in the iconic Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
From our campus in Ambleside, you’ll have the opportunity to study in woodlands managed for conservation, timber production and conservation.
And, thanks to our excellent links with forestry organisations, we have a strong graduate employment record too.
- The course is accredited by the Institute of Chartered Foresters (ICF), the forestry sector professional body, and has been awarded the maximum points available by it
- Forestry employers contact us to fill vacancies for professional forestry posts
- Use the latest technology such as GIS, remote sensing and drones during your studies
- Taught by tutors who have worked as professional foresters
- Tutors are involved in conducting ground-breaking, international research, which will inform your learning
- Small class sizes mean you’ll get close tutor guidance throughout your studies
- We have excellent links with Royal Forestry Society, Institute of Chartered Foresters (ICF) and other forestry organisations
- Experience hands-on forestry frequently, thanks to our practical-focused approach
- Chances to win prizes from a variety of forestry organisations
- Opportunity for work experience in Canada
And, Ambleside is a great place to live with access to the recreational opportunities afforded by the Lake District National Park.
If you want a rewarding career in a sector that is important for biodiversity, society and our economy then this professional course will enable you to gain the skills and experience required for a successful career in forestry.