If you’re an adventure-lover seeking a career in the outdoors, and have completed a related foundation degree or HND, then what better place than within 912 square miles of the iconic Lake District National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
From your unrivalled base in Ambleside, you’ll have more than 150 lofty peaks, 16 lakes and an abundance of rivers - quite literally a classroom on your doorstep.
And, you’ll use it often because we don’t separate practical experience from academic knowledge– it is integral to it - so you’ll always back-up your theoretical knowledge with real-life scenarios.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our aim is that the complex environments you’ll live and learn in will enable you to become a confident, problem-solving graduate, able to make sound professional judgements and decisions.
- The only UK Outdoor Education degree course based in a National Park
- This course is designed for you if you have a Foundation Degree or HND in Outdoor Education, or similar. And, its perfect if you haven’t got a firm career path in mind
- Great facilities, including indoor climbing walls and lakeside access
- Well-equipped – including kayaks and climbing gear, for you to borrow at no extra cost
- Learn to operate in challenging environments
- Explore the great outdoors while developing academic, critical-thinking and valuable life skills
- Develop transferable skills to suit a wide range of careers, including teaching and coaching
- Gain valuable commercial and entrepreneurial skills - enhancing your employability
- Comprehensive Upskill Programme enables you to develop your own practical performance and work towards National Governing Body awards
- Taught by academic tutors involved in current research, which will inform your learning
You’ll be located in Ambleside with plenty of opportunity during your studies, and in your free time, to experience and enjoy the great outdoors – without driving for miles.
So, to study and learn in a world-renowned landscape - perfect for outdoor-lovers, then our uniquely-located course will provide everything you need to succeed in your future career.
You graduate from this top-up year with a degree from one of Britain's leading outdoor education providers, underpinned by genuine, operational experience. You'll be well equipped to join the ever-growing Outdoor and Adventure Activities sector, arriving with the skills and knowledge to stand apart from the crowd. Whether you choose to become an instructor at an outdoor education centre, or follow a career in the uniformed forces, you'll be able to show employers many valuable assets that will open up new paths for your future.
After completing the course you will also be able to study for a PGCE in primary or secondary teaching, or a taught Master's degree/research degree such as an Mphil or PhD. This will allow you even more opportunity to develop your personal qualifications to get the most out of your education.