Our planet needs woodland ecology and conservation graduates to secure a sustainable equitable future, and so, we’ve designed this course based in the Lake District National Park where ancient woodland and commercial forests are a practical laboratory on your doorstep.
You’ll learn the science and art of conserving and sustainably managing trees, woods and forests from staff in the National School of Forestry and the Centre of National Parks and Protected Areas.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You won’t just learn about it though, you’ll be doing it by exploring the woodlands on your doorstep, meeting the hosts who look after them and undertaking surveys to understand them.
- Easy access to woodlands managed for a range of ecosystem services (benefits to human society), giving you chance to explore the options in these different types of forests
- This course is accredited by our professional body, the Institute for Chartered Foresters
- Our links with all the main organisations involved in managing our woodland give you opportunities for paid placements and graduate job prospects
- You’ll use the up-to-date technology of that in the industry, boosting your employability
- Tutors are involved in conducting ground-breaking, international research, which will inform your learning
- Small class sizes mean you’ll get close tutor guidance throughout your studies
- We have excellent links with Royal Forestry Society, Woodland Trust and other forestry organisations
- Opportunity for an international exchange at Humboldt State University, California, to experience the approaches to forestry and conservation in another country
- Residential study tours to the upland (Scotland) and lowland areas, giving you an insight into woodland ecology and conservation in other parts of Britain
- The opportunity for a one-year work placement in a related profession, bolstering your knowledge – and your CV - by putting it into practice in the real world
Our alumni have graduated into careers with woodland ecology and conservation organisations and within the forestry industry.
If you want an exciting, varied and professional career in forestry, then the outstanding facilities and experienced lecturers at our National School of Forestry will set you on the path to success.
Many of our full-time programmes can be studied over a longer period on a part-time basis. Please contact the course enquiries team for further details.