Approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), our courses deliver the high standard of education and training you need to prepare for a successful career in nursing. We collaborate with local NHS Trusts and Partnerships to offer quality work placements, ensuring our students benefit from 100% employability rates after graduation.
Explore Routes Into Nursing
Why study Nursing at the University of Cumbria?
Upon graduating from this course, you will be fully qualified to join the NMC Register. Due to the relentless demand for nurses in the UK, your qualification will open many doors for employment, and you will be able to practice as a nurse for adult care anywhere in the country. Our post-registration courses also offer nurses who are looking to progress with their career the chance to continue learning while earning.
By offering career focussed nursing courses, we:
- Enjoy a student satisfaction rate of 92%
- Give students the opportunity to build a network of contacts in the medical industry
- Helped 60% of our nursing students earn a 2:1 or higher in 2016
- Provide access to outstanding support services
- Offer teaching in a friendly, co-operative and encouraging environment
99% of our graduates are in work or further study within six months of graduating (DLHE 2017).
Values Based Recruitment
As the largest provider of health professionals in Cumbria and North Lancashire, our team of expert lecturers adhere to the Value Based Recruitment approach (VBR) outlined in the NHS constitution. This helps the organisation to recruit staff that fit with their values while increasing the employability of our graduates.
A choice of courses to meet your individual needs
We offer courses across all four fields of nursing, including Pre-Registration and Post-Registration Nursing:
If you are looking to progress your career as a nurse, we offer short courses that will allow you to build on your existing qualifications. Designed as a top-up degree, you will have the opportunity to advance your knowledge and skills while working. From standalone modules to full Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, you can tailor your course to meet your personal and professional development needs.
*98 out of 157 BSc (Hons) Nursing graduates received a 2:1 or a first class honours degree qualification from the University of Cumbria in September 2016
Gain the skills and practical experience you need for a successful career in nursing. Contact us today and become part of providing better health and care for those in need.
Nursing news and events
University recognises role model graduates
Posted: 26 Aug 2020
As the latest crop of A level students prepare to start university next month, two graduates have been honoured for the example they set to others while studying at the University of Cumbria.
#makeitblue campaign lights up former Cumbria hospital as university says thank you to coronavirus heroes
Posted: 29 May 2020
University of Cumbria joined forces with two county firms to say a special #makeitblue thank you to the NHS heroes, key workers and volunteers helping communities during the coronavirus lockdown. Its Grade II-listed Skiddaw building on the Fusehill Street campus in Carlisle was lit up in an eye-catching display to coincide with Thursday evening’s #clapforcarers. Formerly the city's general hospital, the site is now where student nurses and many more entering public services are educated.
“I’ve never been more proud to be a nurse” – Cumbria businesswoman’s return to NHS during coronavirus crisis
Posted: 6 May 2020
Young businesswoman Charlotte Treloar admits she has a tough choice to make after returning to the NHS to help in the fight against coronavirus. Charlotte is working with Covid-19 patients at Carlisle’s Cumberland Infirmary. Rules and restrictions imposed to tackle the spread of the virus has meant she's had to put her beauty business on hold. Yet the University of Cumbria nursing graduate says she has never been more proud to be a nurse and working for the NHS as she is now.
Public service provision is more important than ever and vital to our local communities
Posted: 30 Apr 2020
The Covid-19 crisis has thrown a spotlight on the work of essential key public services staff – particularly those in medicine, nursing, teaching, allied health professions, social work and policing. Such professions will be increasingly vital as the region begins to heal in the months ahead, and as the anchor institution for Cumbria, University of Cumbria plays a crucial role in training and supporting the key workers of tomorrow.
Cumbria’s student nurses step up in coronavirus crisis
Posted: 20 Apr 2020
Student nurses and allied health students currently studying at the University of Cumbria are poised to take up positions in the NHS in response to the coronavirus crisis.
Why become a nurse?
Posted: 13 Aug 2020
Nursing is a graduate profession which requires you to not only develop competency in practice but also your knowledge and understanding of the evidence base which informs your care. It is a challenging yet rewarding career which provides you with a wealth of opportunities in very different care settings.
The perfect career as a Learning Disability Nurse
Posted: 4 Sep 2019
Diverse nursing roles can steer you far from the vision of a nurse in uniform caring for patients at their bedside within a Hospital setting. Graduate Shaheen Ratansi tells her story of the journey she has taken to find her perfect degree, starting a career in a supportive and empowering role as a Learning Disability Nurse.
Is it really possible to juggle work, family and study while at university?
Posted: 28 Jan 2019
Here are our top tips for juggling commitments in all the different aspects of your life as you embark on your university studies.
Guide to finance for student parents
Posted: 19 Jan 2019
Studying while being a parent is both challenging and rewarding. With more commitments than students who don’t have children, you need to make sure that you make things as simple for yourself as possible. This includes having all the financial support in place which you are entitled to.
Nursing Placement Map
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Blackpool Victoria Hospital, Whinney Heys Road, Blackpool, FY3 8NR
- North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cumberland Infirmary, Newtown Road, Carlisle, CA2 7HY
- North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Ladybridge Hall Headquarters, Chorley New Road, Bolton, BL1 5DD
- East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Blackburn Hospital, Haslingden Road, Blackburn, BB2 3HH
- Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Preston Hospital, Sharoe Green Lane, Fulwood, Preston, PR2 9HT
- Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquarters, Bury New Road, Prestwich, M25 3BL
- Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquaters, Sceptre Point, Sceptre Way, Walton Summit, Preston, PR5 6AW
- Mersey Care NHS Trust, V7 Building, Kings Business Park, Prescot, Liverpool, L34 1PJ
- Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Voreda, Portland Place, Penrith, CA11 7BF
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Westmorland General Hospital, Burton Road, Kendal, LA9 7RG
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Ashton Road, Lancaster, LA1 4RP
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Furness General Hospital, Dalton Lane, Barrow-In-Furness, LA14 4LF
"My personal tutor and other university staff have been very helpful and as a care leaver, I feel I have received excellent support right from the beginning of my course"
Being a nurse!
you will never be bored.
you will always be frustrated.
you will be surrounded by challenges.
so much to do and so little time.
you will carry immense responsibility
and very little authority.
you will step into people's lives
and you will make a difference.
some will bless you.
some will curse you.
you will see people at their worst...
and at their best.
you will never cease to be amazed
at people's capacity for
love, courage, and endurance.
you will see life begin...and end.
you will experience resounding triumphs
and devastating failures.
you will cry a lot.
you will laugh a lot.
you will know what it is to be human
and to be humane.
We offer courses in a range of subject areas including Pre-registration and Post-registration Nursing;
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Adult)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Child)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Learning Disabilities)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Mental Health)
Our CPD/Short courses are for qualified nurses who are looking to build on their existing qualifications and enhance their knowledge; we offer a wide provision of courses from stand-alone modules to full Bachelor's and Master's degrees that can be tailored to meet personal and professional development needs.
We offer a number of midwifery courses at undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD/Chort courses, including some practice development routes;
- BSc (Hons) Midwifery
- UAD Practice Development: Midwifery
- PgC Practice Development: Midwifery