Approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), our courses deliver the high standard of education and training you need to prepare for a successful career in nursing. We collaborate with local NHS Trusts and Partnerships to offer quality work placements, ensuring our students benefit from 100% employability rates after graduation.
Why study Nursing at the University of Cumbria?
Upon graduating from this course, you will be fully qualified to join the NMC Register. Due to the relentless demand for nurses in the UK, your qualification will open many doors for employment, and you will be able to practice as a nurse for adult care anywhere in the country. Our post-registration courses also offer nurses who are looking to progress with their career the chance to continue learning while earning.
By offering career focussed nursing courses, we:
- Give students the opportunity to build a network of contacts in the medical industry
- Provide access to outstanding support services
- Offer teaching in a friendly, co-operative and encouraging environment
Values Based Recruitment
As the largest provider of health professionals in Cumbria and North Lancashire, our team of expert lecturers adhere to the Value Based Recruitment approach (VBR) outlined in the NHS constitution. This helps the organisation to recruit staff that fit with their values while increasing the employability of our graduates.
A choice of courses to meet your individual needs
We offer courses across all four fields of nursing, including Pre-Registration and Post-Registration Nursing:
These courses provide graduates from a range of backgrounds the opportunity to transfer their skills to become a registered Adult or Mental Health nurse. Build on your undergraduate experience and become a fully qualified nurse in two years.
- MSc Pre-Registration Nursing/Registered Nurse: Adult Nursing
- MSc Pre-Registration Nursing/Registered Nurse: Mental Health Nursing
Gain the skills and practical experience you need for a successful career in nursing. Contact us today and become part of providing better health and care for those in need.
Nursing news and events
Pioneering occupational health nurse receives honorary fellowship for commitment to profession
Posted: 28 Jul 2022
Julie Staun OBE was awarded an honorary fellowship by the University of Cumbria at its July graduation ceremonies, which took place at Carlisle Cathedral last week.
Graduation for pioneering nursing apprentices
Posted: 27 Jul 2022
The first students to complete a pioneering university-level apprenticeship to qualify as registered nurses are celebrating their graduations. As part of the drive to address the national shortage for nurses, the University of Cumbria and the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Trust co-designed the four-year Registered Nursing Degree Apprenticeship that was the first course of its kind in the country when it was launched in 2018.
Inspirational nurse is Cumbria’s 'Alumnus of the Year'
Posted: 21 Jul 2022
Joanne Telford, 35, from Kendal, a specialist diabetes nurse at Westmorland General Hospital, achieved her nursing role less than five years after graduating, despite leaving school at 16 and overcoming many personal challenges, is named the University of Cumbria's 'Alumnus of the Year'.
Three student nursing awards for graduate nurse and programme of virtual antenatal classes
Posted: 31 May 2022
A university graduate nurse and a programme of virtual antenatal classes have won three student nursing awards between them.
University of Cumbria and Imperial College London announce plans for new medical school in Carlisle
Posted: 7 Apr 2022
The University of Cumbria and Imperial College London are working together to launch a new graduate entry medical school in Carlisle.The new school, which aims to enrol its first students in autumn 2025, will train new doctors for Cumbria and North West England to transform healthcare in local communities.
University of Cumbria student nurse makes a difference by "ruffling feathers" and advocating for patients
Posted: 3 Aug 2022
Discover how current University of Cumbria Nursing student, Josh Gilroy, is making a difference whilst training for his BA (Hons) in Adult Nursing, from playing a part in life-saving diagnoses to representing Cumbria within the Royal College of Nursing.
Guide to finance for student parents
Posted: 11 May 2022
Studying while being a parent is both challenging and rewarding. With more commitments than students who don’t have children, you need to make sure that you make things as simple for yourself as possible. This includes having all the financial support in place which you are entitled to.
How to write a great application for a masters in nursing
Posted: 25 Mar 2022
Write an excellent personal statement to support your masters in nursing application for University.
What skills and qualifications do you need to be a nurse?
Posted: 24 Mar 2022
Discover the character traits, skills and qualifications nurses need to start their career and succeed in their professional practice.
5 ways you’ll be prepared for your future career with our Health and Social Care Integrated Foundation Year
Posted: 29 Apr 2021
If you're interested in getting into a career in Health and Social Care then our integrated foundation year route can provide the stepping stone you need to get into higher education and reach your goals. Read below to find out 5 ways our course will prepare you for your ideal future Health or Social Care career.
Nursing Placement Map
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Blackpool Victoria Hospital, Whinney Heys Road, Blackpool, FY3 8NR
- North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cumberland Infirmary, Newtown Road, Carlisle, CA2 7HY
- North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Ladybridge Hall Headquarters, Chorley New Road, Bolton, BL1 5DD
- East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Blackburn Hospital, Haslingden Road, Blackburn, BB2 3HH
- Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Preston Hospital, Sharoe Green Lane, Fulwood, Preston, PR2 9HT
- Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquarters, Bury New Road, Prestwich, M25 3BL
- Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquaters, Sceptre Point, Sceptre Way, Walton Summit, Preston, PR5 6AW
- Mersey Care NHS Trust, V7 Building, Kings Business Park, Prescot, Liverpool, L34 1PJ
- Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Voreda, Portland Place, Penrith, CA11 7BF
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Westmorland General Hospital, Burton Road, Kendal, LA9 7RG
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Ashton Road, Lancaster, LA1 4RP
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Furness General Hospital, Dalton Lane, Barrow-In-Furness, LA14 4LF
"My personal tutor and other university staff have been very helpful and as a care leaver, I feel I have received excellent support right from the beginning of my course"
Being a nurse!
you will never be bored.
you will always be frustrated.
you will be surrounded by challenges.
so much to do and so little time.
you will carry immense responsibility
and very little authority.
you will step into people's lives
and you will make a difference.
some will bless you.
some will curse you.
you will see people at their worst...
and at their best.
you will never cease to be amazed
at people's capacity for
love, courage, and endurance.
you will see life begin...and end.
you will experience resounding triumphs
and devastating failures.
you will cry a lot.
you will laugh a lot.
you will know what it is to be human
and to be humane.
We offer courses in a range of subject areas including Pre-registration and Post-registration Nursing;
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Adult)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Child)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Learning Disabilities)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Mental Health)
Our CPD/Short courses are for qualified nurses who are looking to build on their existing qualifications and enhance their knowledge; we offer a wide provision of courses from stand-alone modules to full Bachelor's and Master's degrees that can be tailored to meet personal and professional development needs.
We offer a number of midwifery courses at undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD/Short courses, including some practice development routes;
- BSc (Hons) Midwifery
- MSc Midwifery (Pre-Registration)
- UAD Practice Development: Midwifery
- PgC Practice Development: Midwifery