Approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), our courses deliver the high standard of education and training you need to prepare for a successful career in nursing. We collaborate with local NHS Trusts and Partnerships to offer quality work placements, ensuring our students benefit from 100% employability rates after graduation.
Why study Nursing at the University of Cumbria?
Upon graduating from this course, you will be fully qualified to join the NMC Register. Due to the relentless demand for nurses in the UK, your qualification will open many doors for employment, and you will be able to practice as a nurse for adult care anywhere in the country. Our post-registration courses also offer nurses who are looking to progress with their career the chance to continue learning while earning.
By offering career focussed nursing courses, we:
- Enjoy a student satisfaction rate of 92%
- Give students the opportunity to build a network of contacts in the medical industry
- Helped 60% of our nursing students earn a 2:1 or higher in 2016
- Provide access to outstanding support services
- Offer teaching in a friendly, co-operative and encouraging environment
99% of our graduates are in work or further study within six months of graduating (DLHE 2017).
Values Based Recruitment
As the largest provider of health professionals in Cumbria and North Lancashire, our team of expert lecturers adhere to the Value Based Recruitment approach (VBR) outlined in the NHS constitution. This helps the organisation to recruit staff that fit with their values while increasing the employability of our graduates.
A choice of courses to meet your individual needs
We offer courses across all four fields of nursing, including Pre-Registration and Post-Registration Nursing:
These courses provide graduates from a range of backgrounds the opportunity to transfer their skills to become a registered Adult or Mental Health nurse. Build on your undergraduate experience and become a fully qualified nurse in two years.
- MSc Pre-Registration Nursing/Registered Nurse: Adult Nursing
- MSc Pre-Registration Nursing/Registered Nurse: Mental Health Nursing
Gain the skills and practical experience you need for a successful career in nursing. Contact us today and become part of providing better health and care for those in need.
Nursing news and events
Short nursing courses offer fast-track to new career
Posted: 13 Sep 2021
Two new nursing master’s degrees are on offer that let graduates qualify into their chosen field of nursing over two years, rather than the traditional three.
Trainee nurses praise apprenticeship on anniversary of NHS
Posted: 5 Jul 2021
Trainee nursing apprentices have praised the course for opening up a career that may otherwise have been out of reach, as the country celebrates the 73rd anniversary of the NHS.
NHS education head virtually visits Cumbria’s only university
Posted: 12 May 2021
On a virtual visit to the University of Cumbria, Chair of Health Education England (HEE), Sir David Behan praised the institution for the innovative ways it provides higher education in the North West of England.
Award for Institute of Health community mental health festival
Posted: 23 Apr 2021
The Festival of Mental Health, led by the Institute of Health nursing team at the University of Cumbria, has been recognised in the latest Educate North awards.
Software developed in Carlisle could transform how exams are taken in the future
Posted: 25 Mar 2021
A piece of software developed as a result of the pandemic that allows people to take exams in the comfort of their own homes has moved beyond pilot stage and is now being used by five universities, including the University of Cumbria.
5 ways you’ll be prepared for your future career with our Health and Social Care Integrated Foundation Year
Posted: 29 Apr 2021
If you're interested in getting into a career in Health and Social Care then our integrated foundation year route can provide the stepping stone you need to get into higher education and reach your goals. Read below to find out 5 ways our course will prepare you for your ideal future Health or Social Care career.
What do learning disability nurses do?
Posted: 16 Dec 2020
Learning disability nurses work in a wide range of environments, including community nursing, forensic, secure or residential settings and hospices. This blog will explore what learning disabilities nurses do in their role and the impact they have on the lives of others.
How can creative writing help individuals struggling with their mental health?
Posted: 5 Nov 2020
Each year for National Poetry Day, third-year mental health nursing students explore the use of creative writing, in particular poetry, as an alternative medium for mental health nurses to consider using with clients in clinical practice.
Why become a nurse?
Posted: 13 Aug 2020
Nursing is a graduate profession which requires you to not only develop competency in practice but also your knowledge and understanding of the evidence base which informs your care. It is a challenging yet rewarding career which provides you with a wealth of opportunities in very different care settings.
Nursing Placement Map
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Blackpool Victoria Hospital, Whinney Heys Road, Blackpool, FY3 8NR
- North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cumberland Infirmary, Newtown Road, Carlisle, CA2 7HY
- North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Ladybridge Hall Headquarters, Chorley New Road, Bolton, BL1 5DD
- East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Blackburn Hospital, Haslingden Road, Blackburn, BB2 3HH
- Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Preston Hospital, Sharoe Green Lane, Fulwood, Preston, PR2 9HT
- Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquarters, Bury New Road, Prestwich, M25 3BL
- Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquaters, Sceptre Point, Sceptre Way, Walton Summit, Preston, PR5 6AW
- Mersey Care NHS Trust, V7 Building, Kings Business Park, Prescot, Liverpool, L34 1PJ
- Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Voreda, Portland Place, Penrith, CA11 7BF
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Westmorland General Hospital, Burton Road, Kendal, LA9 7RG
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Ashton Road, Lancaster, LA1 4RP
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Furness General Hospital, Dalton Lane, Barrow-In-Furness, LA14 4LF
"My personal tutor and other university staff have been very helpful and as a care leaver, I feel I have received excellent support right from the beginning of my course"
Being a nurse!
you will never be bored.
you will always be frustrated.
you will be surrounded by challenges.
so much to do and so little time.
you will carry immense responsibility
and very little authority.
you will step into people's lives
and you will make a difference.
some will bless you.
some will curse you.
you will see people at their worst...
and at their best.
you will never cease to be amazed
at people's capacity for
love, courage, and endurance.
you will see life begin...and end.
you will experience resounding triumphs
and devastating failures.
you will cry a lot.
you will laugh a lot.
you will know what it is to be human
and to be humane.
We offer courses in a range of subject areas including Pre-registration and Post-registration Nursing;
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Adult)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Child)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Learning Disabilities)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Mental Health)
Our CPD/Short courses are for qualified nurses who are looking to build on their existing qualifications and enhance their knowledge; we offer a wide provision of courses from stand-alone modules to full Bachelor's and Master's degrees that can be tailored to meet personal and professional development needs.
We offer a number of midwifery courses at undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD/Short courses, including some practice development routes;
- BSc (Hons) Midwifery
- MSc Midwifery (Pre-Registration)
- UAD Practice Development: Midwifery
- PgC Practice Development: Midwifery