Approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), our courses deliver the high standard of education and training you need to prepare for a successful career in nursing. We collaborate with local NHS Trusts and Partnerships to offer quality work placements, ensuring our students benefit from 100% employability rates after graduation.
Why study Nursing at the University of Cumbria?
Upon graduating from this course, you will be fully qualified to join the NMC Register. Due to the relentless demand for nurses in the UK, your qualification will open many doors for employment, and you will be able to practice as a nurse for adult care anywhere in the country. Our post-registration courses also offer nurses who are looking to progress with their career the chance to continue learning while earning.
By offering career focussed nursing courses, we:
- Enjoy a student satisfaction rate of 92%
- Give students the opportunity to build a network of contacts in the medical industry
- Helped 60% of our nursing students earn a 2:1 or higher in 2016
- Provide access to outstanding support services
- Offer teaching in a friendly, co-operative and encouraging environment
99% of our graduates are in work or further study within six months of graduating (DLHE 2017).
Values Based Recruitment
As the largest provider of health professionals in Cumbria and North Lancashire, our team of expert lecturers adhere to the Value Based Recruitment approach (VBR) outlined in the NHS constitution. This helps the organisation to recruit staff that fit with their values while increasing the employability of our graduates.
A choice of courses to meet your individual needs
We offer courses across all four fields of nursing, including Pre-Registration and Post-Registration Nursing:
If you are looking to progress your career as a nurse, we offer short courses that will allow you to build on your existing qualifications. Designed as a top-up degree, you will have the opportunity to advance your knowledge and skills while working. From standalone modules to full Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, you can tailor your course to meet your personal and professional development needs.
*98 out of 157 BSc (Hons) Nursing graduates received a 2:1 or a first class honours degree qualification from the University of Cumbria in September 2016
Gain the skills and practical experience you need for a successful career in nursing. Contact us today and become part of providing better health and care for those in need.
Nursing news and events
Software developed in Carlisle could transform how exams are taken in the future
Posted: 25 Mar 2021
A piece of software developed as a result of the pandemic that allows people to take exams in the comfort of their own homes has moved beyond pilot stage and is now being used by five universities, including the University of Cumbria.
Public health academic to address CBRNe specialists at European event
Posted: 24 Mar 2021
A University of Cumbria academic is preparing to address a European conference for specialists who manage responses to major emergencies and disasters. Colonel David Bates will speak at the NCT Virtual Europe event hosted by the Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and explosive (CBRNe) Society.
Unique opportunity for former nursing professionals to top up their skills and return to work
Posted: 23 Mar 2021
Opportunities for people wanting to return to work in adult nursing, children’s nursing and midwifery are now available through the Return to Practice programme. Return to Practice (RtP) gives people who have previously been Registered Nurses the opportunity to return to the profession by undertaking a return to nursing practice course.
Student nurse describes covid placement as ‘phenomenal experience’
Posted: 3 Mar 2021
With third year student nurses invited back on placements to support the NHS last month, two student nurses recall their experience of helping out on the frontline last march and how it helped them grow in confidence and ability.
New role for University of Cumbria lecturer
Posted: 2 Nov 2020
Colonel David Bates, who leads University of Cumbria’s postgraduate programmes in disaster, crisis and humanitarian response, has been admitted to the Court of The Company of Nurses (City of London).
What do learning disability nurses do?
Posted: 16 Dec 2020
Learning disability nurses work in a wide range of environments, including community nursing, forensic, secure or residential settings and hospices. This blog will explore what learning disabilities nurses do in their role and the impact they have on the lives of others.
How can creative writing help individuals struggling with their mental health?
Posted: 5 Nov 2020
Each year for National Poetry Day, third-year mental health nursing students explore the use of creative writing, in particular poetry, as an alternative medium for mental health nurses to consider using with clients in clinical practice.
Why become a nurse?
Posted: 13 Aug 2020
Nursing is a graduate profession which requires you to not only develop competency in practice but also your knowledge and understanding of the evidence base which informs your care. It is a challenging yet rewarding career which provides you with a wealth of opportunities in very different care settings.
The perfect career as a Learning Disability Nurse
Posted: 4 Sep 2019
Diverse nursing roles can steer you far from the vision of a nurse in uniform caring for patients at their bedside within a Hospital setting. Graduate Shaheen Ratansi tells her story of the journey she has taken to find her perfect degree, starting a career in a supportive and empowering role as a Learning Disability Nurse.
Nursing Placement Map
- Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Blackpool Victoria Hospital, Whinney Heys Road, Blackpool, FY3 8NR
- North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cumberland Infirmary, Newtown Road, Carlisle, CA2 7HY
- North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust, Ladybridge Hall Headquarters, Chorley New Road, Bolton, BL1 5DD
- East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Blackburn Hospital, Haslingden Road, Blackburn, BB2 3HH
- Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Preston Hospital, Sharoe Green Lane, Fulwood, Preston, PR2 9HT
- Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquarters, Bury New Road, Prestwich, M25 3BL
- Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust, Trust Headquaters, Sceptre Point, Sceptre Way, Walton Summit, Preston, PR5 6AW
- Mersey Care NHS Trust, V7 Building, Kings Business Park, Prescot, Liverpool, L34 1PJ
- Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Voreda, Portland Place, Penrith, CA11 7BF
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Westmorland General Hospital, Burton Road, Kendal, LA9 7RG
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Ashton Road, Lancaster, LA1 4RP
- University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, Furness General Hospital, Dalton Lane, Barrow-In-Furness, LA14 4LF
"My personal tutor and other university staff have been very helpful and as a care leaver, I feel I have received excellent support right from the beginning of my course"
Being a nurse!
you will never be bored.
you will always be frustrated.
you will be surrounded by challenges.
so much to do and so little time.
you will carry immense responsibility
and very little authority.
you will step into people's lives
and you will make a difference.
some will bless you.
some will curse you.
you will see people at their worst...
and at their best.
you will never cease to be amazed
at people's capacity for
love, courage, and endurance.
you will see life begin...and end.
you will experience resounding triumphs
and devastating failures.
you will cry a lot.
you will laugh a lot.
you will know what it is to be human
and to be humane.
We offer courses in a range of subject areas including Pre-registration and Post-registration Nursing;
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Adult)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Child)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Learning Disabilities)
- BSc (Hons) Nursing (Mental Health)
Our CPD/Short courses are for qualified nurses who are looking to build on their existing qualifications and enhance their knowledge; we offer a wide provision of courses from stand-alone modules to full Bachelor's and Master's degrees that can be tailored to meet personal and professional development needs.
We offer a number of midwifery courses at undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD/Short courses, including some practice development routes;
- BSc (Hons) Midwifery
- MSc Midwifery (Pre-Registration)
- UAD Practice Development: Midwifery
- PgC Practice Development: Midwifery