On the BSc Learning Disabilities Nursing degree, you will spend your time divided between theoretical learning and practical placements – working with highly experienced professionals and in direct contact with people with a learning disability. You will boost your skills and confidence, learning how to improve and maintain the physical and mental health of people with learning disabilities.
You will be allocated six placements over the course, plus an enrichment placement you will arrange yourself (potentially working abroad).
Our experienced academic staff will develop your independent thinking and problem-solving skills using clinical labs, mock hospital wards, lectures, guest speakers, workshops and simulations. All of which will be supported by a wide variety of online learning opportunities.
CPD and postgraduate courses after graduation will help you take the next step in your career.
On this course you will...
- Prepare to become a learning disabilities nurse who works with people across the lifespan from new families, children and young people, to older adults who require support at various times throughout their lives.
- Have the opportunity to make a profound impact on someone's life. You will be able to provide nursing care and support to someone who needs it most.
- Experience something new every day, and have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others. You can live your best life by helping others live theirs.
- Be able to work in a wide variety of settings following graduation. The opportunities are endless, allowing you to have a career where you are always motivated and inspired to go to work for another exciting and rewarding day.
- Learn to become an advocate for people with learning disabilities. You can make sure that a person's voice is heard, their human rights are protected and that discrimination does not occur.
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.