Fascinated about human behaviour – from how children learn, to managing stress in the workplace and the motivations for and the treatment of offending behaviour?
Well, our course brings all the core areas of psychology together, so you’ll learn about the development, social, biological, cognitive and research methodologies in this field, but with a practical focus to make your CV stand out from the crowd.
Your foundation year will give you all the core academic skills that you need to progress onto the full degree programme.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You won’t just learn about psychology theoretically, you’ll be putting it into practice using real people and case studies to bolster your learning.
And, thanks to the great links we have with regional and national organisations – from prisons to victim support charities and homeless organisations – you’ll have the opportunity to get career-enhancing voluntary work throughout your studies.
- 97.6% of our students are in employment or further study within 6 months of graduating (DLHE 2017)
- Our course is accredited by the British Psychological Society and you may be eligible for Charter membership
- 50% of your studies will be practical - through research, case studies and data collection
- Opportunities to gain additional professional development and accredited qualifications alongside your course, in areas such as psychometrics
- Taught by academic tutors with forensics, counselling and clinical backgrounds
- Tutors carry out pioneering research, which enhances your learning. Plus, it gives you the chance to take part in current research
- Our excellent links with regional and national charities, not-for-profit and penal institutions offers great work experience and job prospects
- We have a great reputation nationally for research methodology
- Opportunity to take part in field trips in the UK and abroad
- Complete work experience in prisons with the chance to study alongside prisoners for real-life learning
- Study on our vibrant and friendly Fusehill Street campus in Carlisle, just 30 minutes from the Lake District National Park and Scotland, with great transport links to major cities of Newcastle and Glasgow
Our course offers a full range of extra-curricular activities e.g. psychology film club, enrichment evening and daytime seminars led by local and national experts, research participation scheme and a staff-student conference.
We’ll also prepare you for a range of postgraduate opportunities, including becoming a Chartered Psychologist and in specialist areas, such as health, forensic, community, counselling and organisational psychology.
Whichever career path you choose, the first-class experience you’ll gain from workplace opportunities on this course will be highly desirable to future employers.
The skills, knowledge and understanding you gain from the course will help with entry to a range of rewarding professions centred on psychology. You will be in the ideal position for a career in clinical, forensic or educational psychology, health education and promotion, counselling, social work, teaching, organisational behaviour, human resources, and prison or probation work.