BSc (Hons) - Environmental Science
We only have one planet. Our number one challenge is to work out how we can live within the boundaries this presents while ensuring the health and wellbeing, not only of the current human population and generations to come, but of the 8.7 million species that cohabit it with us.
Our Environmental Science degree is designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills needed to develop as an environmental practitioner and to develop the personal attributes required to take on this challenge.
Our programme is purpose built for the modern environmental scientist and centred around the learner as the 'environmental practitioner'. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding that will equip you for employment in a wide range of environmental professions and beyond. It has been aligned to subject benchmark statements and has been developed in consultation with employers.
You will develop an understanding of the science of the environment, how to assess and monitor environmental issues and identify sustainable solutions to current environmental problems as well as ensure future environmental protection.
The Environmental Science course has a strong practical focus with laboratory and field work throughout including a residential field trip and a multi-year practical monitoring exercise, allowing you to combine theory and practice.
On this course you will...
- Be equipped you with the knowledge and skills needed to understand the environment around you, contemporary environmental problems, and technological and socio-economic solutions.
- Develop as an ‘environmental practitioner’, gaining the employment skills needed to pursue an exciting environmental career or further academic study.
- Benefit from field and laboratory work embedded throughout, blending theory with practice to develop the applied knowledge and understanding needed as an environmental practitioner.
- Enjoy easy access to environments local to Carlisle and Cumbria providing a unique blend of urban, rural, protected, and designated sites to explore. Experience the diversity of environmental challenges first-hand.
- Take part in a large-scale, problem-based practical project where you will work with a team to develop your project management and leadership skills, as well as synthesising knowledge, in a practical and data driven setting.
- Take part in residential field studies, an intensive period of emersion in environmental study which provides the opportunity for you to explore different cultural and contextual perspectives and environmental challenges.
Carlisle - Fusehill Street Campus
The Fusehill Street campus has been the setting of life-saving treatments since World War I. Now, it's home to world changers, life-savers, crime fighters, and entrepreneurs with access to high-quality facilities and innovative thinking.Find out more
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.