Our programme is purpose built for the modern environmental scientist and centred around the learner as the 'environmental practitioner'. During your integrated foundation year, you will develop your knowledge and understanding of the key scientific and social science principles of Biology, Chemistry, Human Ecology to Toxicology, Public Health, Epidemiology and Parasitology.
The foundation year has a strong practical focus with laboratory and field work throughout including a residential field trip and a multi-year practical monitoring exercise. As such, you will gain a solid foundation in laboratory and field skills in four subject-specific modules, Essential Biology, Essential Chemistry, Environmental Sciences and Scientific Investigation.
This route offers a unique opportunity for developing the academic and study skills needed to progress onto the main degree.
On this course you will...
- Be equipped you with the knowledge and skills needed to understand the environment around you, contemporary environmental problems, and technological, socio-economic solutions, and wider scientific concepts.
- Develop as an ‘environmental practitioner’, gaining the employment skills needed to pursue an exciting environmental career or further academic study.
- Benefit from field and laboratory work embedded throughout, blending theory with practice to develop the applied knowledge and understanding needed as an environmental practitioner.
- Enjoy easy access to environments local to Carlisle and Cumbria providing a unique blend of urban, rural, protected, and designated sites to explore. Experience the diversity of environmental challenges first-hand.
- Take part in a large-scale, problem-based practical project where you will work with a team to develop your project management and leadership skills, as well as synthesising knowledge, in a practical and data driven setting.
- Take part in residential field studies, an intensive period of emersion in environmental study which provides the opportunity for you to explore different cultural and contextual perspectives and environmental challenges.
Applying through clearing?
Call us: 0808 1787373
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.