Looking to further or develop a new career in forestry? Then our top up degree - the only one of its type in the UK - is the qualification for you.
You’ll study professional forestry at our National School of Forestry in the iconic Lake District National Park – now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Our course is perfect for you if you already have a HND or foundation degree in forestry or arboriculture and want to study for a BSc Honours Degree and gain professional accreditation through the Institute of Chartered Foresters, the forestry sector professional body.
Why choose this course at Cumbria
From our campus in Ambleside, you will have the unique opportunity to study in woodlands managed for conservation, timber production and conservation.
- Our course is accredited by the Institute of Chartered Foresters
- We have more than 50 years educating and training professional and award-winning foresters
- Experience hands-on forestry frequently, thanks to our practical-focused approach
- Use the latest forestry technology, such as remote sensing and drones during your studies, to enhance your employability
- Taught by academic tutors, who have worked as professional foresters and bring invaluable experience to their teaching
- Tutors are involved in conducting ground-breaking, international research, which will inform your learning
- We have excellent links with Royal Forestry Society, Institute of Chartered Foresters (ICF) and other forestry organisations, which boosts your networking and employment prospects
- Forestry employers contact us to fill vacancies for professional forestry posts
- Chances to win prizes from a variety of forestry organisations
- Small class sizes mean you’ll get personal tutor guidance and support throughout your studies
You'll live and learn on our friendly Ambleside campus, the only university campus in a national park, which is also home to the Centre for National Parks and Protected Areas, where our tutors are involved in producing high-quality research that informs our teaching, your learning and aims to bring about positive change in the natural world.
Ambleside, close to the shores of Windermere, is a great place to live with access to the recreational opportunities afforded by the Lake District National Park. And, on campus you have access to modern research and teaching labs, lecture and seminar rooms, IT facilities and a library with a broad range of up-to-date digital and hard-copy resources.
If you want a rewarding career in a sector, which is important for biodiversity, society and the economy, then this professional course at the National School of Forestry will set you on the path to success.
Topping up your qualification will give you the advantage when pursuing a career in forest and woodland management, with job opportunities both nationally and overseas. We have had graduates go on to work for the Forestry Commission, the Woodland Trust, local authorities and private enterprise, with some students going into business for themselves. Alternatively, you may wish to continue your studies to masters level.