Header image credit: Game Design Artwork by Hasson Iqbal-Butt
Would you love to create the video games you play? Well, bring your fascination and creativity to this course and we’ll enable you to develop your skills to turn your ideas into exciting new games.
Right from the off, you’ll be designing, developing and creating new game experiences to create a portfolio that you can hand to future employers.
Our foundation year will help you reach the right level for taking the rest of the degree, building a solid foundation of skills from which to expand upon.
This is not a programming course; it is all about the art and design work related to video games.
So, you’ll learn all about art and design work related to video games making you proficient creating storyboarded concepts and turning them into playable prototypes (both 2D and 3D).
The Institute of Arts at the University of Cumbria also runs its own Game Jam game design competition every year. In 2019, we had over 30 games and 200 gamers take part in the competition both as groups and individual entries. Want to find out more? Follow our social channels and be part of the conversation:
Your Career with a Games Design Degree
This course can lead to a range of careers, including:
- Games Designer
- Art Director
- Concept Artist
- Modeller or Animator
Graduates from the previous iteration of the programme were part of the teams that made video games including Fable III, Killzone 2, and Crackdown 2. Graduates were also part of the post-production teams involved in making movies including Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Happy Feet, Quantum of Solace and The Chronicles of Narnia.
Peter Roe now works for Pixar and is currently working on The Bear. Ian Wharton now is a creative partner in Zolmo who developed the Jamie Oliver Cooking Application for the iPhone. Michael Malinowski works for Lionhead Studios. Uisdean Ross is at TT Games and spends his time working with Digital Legos.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our aim is to see you graduate as a highly-skilled and technical artist that this growing and competitive industry expects of you.
- 75% of your studies will be designing, developing and creating practically, so you’ll have every opportunity to create a brimming portfolio of quality and playable games
- Use the 3D and games engine software you will use in the professional industry
- Tutors are active professionals in the gaming industry and you will benefit from their invaluable first-hand experience
- Study on a dedicated arts campus, mixing with other creative minds, including actors and writers, who you’ll be able to work alongside on projects
- Learn entrepreneurial skills to enable you to market yourself and work as a freelance games designer
- Develop a wide range of essential skills including drawing, 3D modelling, texturing and animation
- The 3D models that you create can be used in games, films, adverts and TV shows, even in 3D printing and prototyping
- Develop your own personal iconography
- Your digital skills will be transferrable to other careers, including film and television
- Close support from tutors, who will guide you through your studies
Art and Design ranks 3rd for Student Satisfaction in the North West
- Complete University Guide 2021
You will study at our Institute of the Arts at on our Brampton Road campus - a vibrant environment - where you will live and learn with fellow creative students.
The site overlooks the river Eden in the border city of Carlisle, with Scotland a short distance in one direction and the stunning Lake District National Park - a UNESCO World Heritage site - in the other. Add to that the spectacular Solway Coast, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and you’ll never be stuck for inspiration.
Our course will enable you to be digitally proficient to work with leading design and software companies worldwide – as it has done for former students, who’ve worked on films with Warner Brothers and Pixar and with world-renowned gaming developers.
And, our graduates have been recognised for the high-calibre of their work. They've gone on to be part of the post productions teams involved in making movies including Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Happy Feet, Quantum of Solace and the Chronicles of Narnia. Plus, they've scooped Royal Television Society Awards for their creative excellence.
So, let our degree in Games Design help you graduate with a portfolio to be proud of and propel you into this rewarding industry.
Course Study Options
This course is also available without the integrated foundation year.
Download the personal statement guide
Get top tips on how to write the best university personal statementDownload Here