This Privacy Notice explains how the University of Cumbria will process personal data of our Alumni and supporters. This data is processed by the University of Cumbria Alumni Association.
This Privacy Notice is intended for graduates from the University of Cumbria since 2007 and those from our legacy institutions, St Martin’s College, Cumbria Institute of the Arts and Charlotte Mason College. It is also intended for University of Cumbria Alumni Association supporters such local politicians and University of Cumbria Directors.
This notice should be read together with our General Privacy Notice.
How do we get your personal data?
We get information about you from the following sources:
Your student record as explained in our Student Privacy Notice.
Directly from you when you get in touch with us or when we get in touch with you e.g. when you:
- attend an event, make a donation, use any of the services available to you or have any interaction with us,
- update the information we hold about you such as your contact or employment details,
- interact with our departments such as library, sports and careers.
From the public domain, such as news websites, blogs and social media sites.
What Personal Data Do We Process?
We collect the following personal data:
- Biographical details such as your name, title, gender, date of birth and nationality
- Contact details such as your postal address, email address and telephone number
- Education details such as your course, grades, dates you studied with us
- Membership of clubs and societies
- Student ambassador or Student Union positions held when studying at the University.
Where relevant and depending on your interaction with the alumni association:
- Relationships data such as your marital status and your personal or professional links to other alumni, supporters and friends
- Employment details such as your job title and employer
- Data about your personal and professional interests
- Details about alumni events you have attended including dates and location
- Datails about whether you read and open any alumni emails sent to you
- Details of events and activities you have attended (both on or off campus)
- Your use of the alumni website (https://alumni.cumbria.ac.uk/), including date and times of visit, number of page views and navigation round the site
- Financial information when you make a payment through our online payment system
- Your use of our resources such as library, sports, careers and email services
- Personal and professional website links or blogs
- Your personal interests and interests within the alumni association, such as whether you would like to be a mentor, or attend events
- Your communications and interactions with the alumni association
- Information about any donations you have made to us including dates and amounts, banks and financial information, if you give regularly and gift aid information and declarations
- Dietary requirements and accessibility data when you attend events we organise.
How we Use Your Personal Data
We use your information for the purposes listed below.
- To send you University and Alumni Association publications and news
- To send you information about further academic course you may be interested in and alumni discounts
- To maintain our alumni records (depending on your interaction with us)
- To let you know about alumni and University events
- To send you information about discounts and alumni services
- To provide you with any specific dietary or access requirements
- To produce reports and statistical analysis
- We may use your personal data to profile you so that we can send you specific marketing communication.
What is our legal basis for processing your personal data?
Under the data protection law, we use your personal data when:
- We have your consent e.g. to send you marketing communications
- It is necessary for our legitimate interests e.g. to send you marketing information and ask for you to make donations
- It is necessary for the performance of a contract with you e.g. when you attend events we organise
We use your dietary and accessibility requirements data because it is necessary for substantial public interests e.g. to offer you support when you attend an event.
Who will your personal data be shared with?
We share your personal with our employees a need to know basis only.
We also share your personal data with organisations who act as ‘data processors’ who provide services on our behalf. For example to manage our alumni relations, we use:
- Blackbaud who provide services through their Raiser’s Edge system and
- Cumbria Network Graduway platform (for our Robert Kennedy College and Industry and Leadership alumni).
How long will we keep your data?
We aim to retain your personal data only for as long as necessary for the purposes explained above.
We consider that our relationship with you as lifelong, and therefore we will keep your personal data until you tell us that you no longer wish to hear from us.
If you ask us to delete your personal data, we will delete most of the personal data but keep a record of your full name, date of birth, student number so that we can correctly manage our records.
Details about your rights and how to exercise them are set out on our Data Protection webpage.
You have the right to opt out of specific or all communications we send you at any time. You can do this by:
- clicking on this link https://alumni.cumbria.ac.uk/Communicationpreferences
- replying to any email with the word ‘Unsubscribe’ this will opt you out of all email communications, but we may still contact you using other channels.
You can also select the specific channels through which you wish to be contacted and the types of communication you wish to receive.