This Privacy Notice explains how the University of Cumbria handles personal information about anyone who takes part in our Student recruitment and outreach activities. Our Outreach activities include ‘Widening Participation’ work that encourages more people, particularly from underrepresented groups, to enter and benefit from higher education.
This Privacy Notice is intended for school pupils, prospective students, parents, guardians, carers and other concerned individuals.
What personal data do we process?
We may collect information about you when you apply to or participate in one of our programmes or activities, contact us through the clearing process, attend our open days, enquire about our courses or sign up for our electronic communications.
This may include personal data such as:
- Your name
- Address and contact details
- Date of birth
- Name of the school which you attended and your year group
- Your gender and ethnicity and in some instances
- Courses you are interested in
- Intended year of study
- Communication preferences
- Your gender and ethnicity and in some instances,
- Your social status e.g. if you are a care leaver, are in the care system, care experienced or are a young carer
- Dietary requirements
- Your username, IP address, MAC address and device name may be collected when used application such as vFairs, or Microsoft Teams
Why we process your personal data?
We process your personal data for purposes listed below:
- To invite you to or register you for one of our activities (on campus or online)
- To provide you with information about the subject you are interested in
- To provide you with specialist services for example when you attend one of our open days or activities
- To enable us to communicate or provide our activities via video conferencing applications e.g. when attending our online open days
- To send you information about upcoming activities, news, promotions and events that we think may be of interest to you
- To evaluate the effectiveness of our student recruitment and outreach activities
- To support you to make well-informed decisions about your future education
- To support effective collaboration with local by universities, schools, colleges and employers
What is our legal basis for processing your personal data?
The lawful bases we rely on for processing your personal data are:
- It is necessary for the performance of a public task
- Your consent- to let you know about events you may be interested in
- We have a contractual obligation if you decide to make an application
- The University’s legitimate interests to find out how well its activities are doing; the resulting reports will not contain any of your personal data
- For substantial public interests e.g. if you have a disability to give you support when you attend our events and to ensure you are safe and secure at these events.
Who will your personal data be shared with?
We share your personal data with our employees on a need to know basis only. We also share your personal data with:
Partners such as other universities and employers we work with to provide our outreach activities
- Organisations who work on our behalf to provide specific services e.g. the University of Kent uses the Higher Education Access Tracker (HEAT) to monitor and evaluate how well the programme is doing and software providers to provide online services
- Government organisations we are required to share the personal data with e.g. OfS HESA and UCAS to track and monitor your future choices.
How long will we keep your information for?
Your information will be retained for no longer than necessary for the purposes explained above and will be destroyed in line with our records retention schedules.
This Privacy Notice was last updated on 19th October 2020.