If you’re an adventure-lover seeking a career in the outdoors, then what better place than within 912 square miles of the iconic Lake District National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
We’re one of the largest provider of outdoor study degrees in the UK – and our Ambleside-based course is the only one in the UK in a National Park.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
You’ll have an outdoor classroom quite literally on your doorstep – with 200 mountains, 16 lakes and an abundance of rivers.
So, there are ample opportunities to learn all the academic knowledge and practical skills you need to kick-start your career as an outdoor leader.
- Outdoor experience is at the heart of this course with theory backed up by practice
- Learn to successfully lead people with the most up-to-date and best practice coaching
- Improve your competencies in mountaineering, climbing, sailing, caving and paddling
- Explore the outdoors while developing academic, critical-thinking and valuable life skills
- Great facilities, including indoor climbing walls and lakeside access
- Well-equipped – including kayaks and climbing gear, for you to borrow at no extra cost
- Gain valuable commercial and entrepreneurial skills – enhancing your employability
- Exciting field trips with a difference – including an expedition to Andorra
- Taught by experienced tutors, many who are currently active in the outdoors
- Carry out your own topical and current research to suit your interests
We don’t just teach you the theory, you’ll get on with it in practice so you become a proactive and confident problem-solver able to make sound professional judgements and decisions.
So, if you have the desire to operate effectively and lead in challenging environments, then our uniquely-located course will provide everything you need to succeed.
Special offer for 2017
Students starting the course in September 2017 will receive a complimentary First Aid Upskill course.