With the rich landscape of the Lake District National Park on your doorstep, there’s no better place to gain outdoor adventure skills while learning about the environment.
This course will draw on your thirst for adventure and take you on an expedition that’ll enhance your geographical, cultural, anthropological and ecological knowledge – surrounded by more than 150 lofty peaks, 16 lakes and an abundance of rivers.
You won’t be stuck in a classroom, you’ll learn by doing – honing your outdoor skills, while studying, critically evaluating and researching the environment surrounding you.
Plus, you’ll have work-experience and networking opportunities with leading UK outdoor employers, which for some former students has led to employment.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
- Develop and enhance your competencies in outdoor activities (eg: mountaineering, paddling and caving) and environmental field skills
- Explore the outdoors while developing academic, critical-thinking and valuable life skills
- Evaluate current outdoor practice and philosophies
- Great facilities, including indoor climbing walls, outdoor stores and lakeside access
- Well-equipped – including kayaks and climbing gear, for you to borrow at no extra cost
- Gain valuable commercial and entrepreneurial skills – enhancing your employability.
- Opportunity for work-based experience
- Visits from employers and external organisations to hone your skills to gain employment
- Taught by tutors, who are active in the outdoors and conduct international research
- Learn about the environment via exciting field studies in the UK and abroad. Including an international field course in Northern Spain in the Picos de Europa Mountains
If you enjoy the outdoors and are passionate about making a difference to the ecological, geographical and sustainability challenges faced by our modern day world, this course will prepare you for that.