Biomedical science is the study of the health and diseases of the human body to improve health. Because biomedical scientists need a wide range of knowledge and skills, you'll study a wide range of modules with us.
You will get an in-depth understanding of the complex science behind the cause, consequence, diagnosis, and treatment of illnesses. You will learn how science can be applied to clinical practice and research, ultimately to make a difference to human lives through the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
By putting your lab coat on you will put theory into practice in our brand-new laboratories, getting a sound knowledge of cellular pathology, genetics, the human immune system, and biochemical pathways. We’ll delve deep into blood sciences and clinical biochemistry, giving you the opportunity to expand your knowledge of diagnostic approaches, researching clinical markers, screening techniques and the role biomedical scientists can play in saving lives and improving health.
On this course you will...
- Develop an enthusiasm for Biomedical Sciences and be involved in stimulating and structured learning opportunities.
- Be assigned a personal tutor who will not just be your academic point of contact on the course but will, along with our careers service, help you to consider the wide range of jobs and further study options a degree in biomed can give you.
- Have the opportunity to be involved with other science students on other courses to get a wider appreciation of the biosciences in an industrial, academic, economic, and social context.
- Get time in labs to conduct experiments and procedures planned for you. But also learn to plan and carry out your own experiments independently with support and guidance.
- Gain an appreciation of the advances at the forefront of Biomedical Sciences.
- Gain a knowledge and skills base from which will help you move towards employment or postgraduate study.
Find out more about studying with us
Attend an Open Day at Cumbria
An Open Day is your opportunity to explore one of 5 campuses, meet your lecturers, and find out how the University of Cumbria could become your new home.